Results & John Gorman’s round up Saturday September 29th

Premier Division
Alresford Town  1-2  Tadley Calleva
Christchurch  4-1  Bashley
Fareham Town  1-0  Hamble Club
Hamworthy United 2-0  Bemerton Heath Harlequins
Horndean  2-0  Baffins Milton Rovers
Lymington Town  3-2  Cowes Sports
Portland United  2-6  Bournemouth
Shaftesbury 4-2  Andover New Street
Sholing  2-1  AFC Portchester
Division One
Amesbury Town  1-1  Hythe & Dibden
Andover Town  2-1  Fawley AFC
Downton  5-0  Ringwood Town
Folland Sports  1-1  Petersfield Town
New Milton Town  2-3  Laverstock & Ford
Newport IoW  0-2  U.S. Portsmouth
Romsey Town  3-3  AFC Stoneham
Totton & Eling  2-0  Verwood Town

The week started on a sad note with the passing of Hamworthy United goalkeeping coach Ben Scott at a very young age and their League match at Portland on Tuesday was postponed. The Leagues condolences go to his family and friends and to all at Hamworthy and its thanks to Portland for their willing and sympathetic understanding of the situation.

On the football front on Tuesday Sholing’s FA Cup journey came to an end on home soil as Slough scored three times in extra time after a goalless ninety minutes. All credit to the “Boatmen” for their performances over the two legs and for progressing to the stage of the competition. Two League matches in Division One with AFC Stoneham maintaining their one hundred per cent record with a three two victory over Amesbury. The Wiltshire side still lead the Division by a point after their first defeat of the season but Stoneham have two games in hand. Petersfield followed up Saturday’s five goal success over Downton by beating New Milton three one – eight goals in two games and seventh place in the table – with Callum Coker scoring twice on the night.

In the second round of the League Cup Sam Burt scored twice in Alresford’s four one win over Newport but there was an astonishing scoreline at Cams Alders in the same round of the competition as Cowes Sports returned to the Island with a nine nil victory under their belts. John McKie claimed a hat trick and Gareth Bricknell scored twice in what must be Fareham’s biggest home defeat in decades if not ever. Added pleasure for Cowes in that it no doubt helps remove thoughts of last season when they crashed out of the League Cup after a heavy defeat at AFC Portchester.

One game in the Third Round and a second home defeat on the trot for Bashley with Alton scoring in stoppage time after Bashley had equalised some five minutes earlier. A good result for the Division One side whose season has been slow in getting off the ground so far. Lastly on the night two results in the Bournemouth Senior Cup. Lymington came down from the heights of the FA Cup to defeat Parley Sports – whether it was the visitors Bournemouth League side or the Dorset Premier side is unclear – six one with two goals from Sam House and goalkeeper Ross Casey also on the scoresheet. In the other tie Christchurch beat Westover Bournemouth twelve nil, again raising the question as to whether such results benefit anybody though Scott Joyce deserves mention for scoring seven of the twelve.

Just two games on Wednesday with Baffins Milton Rovers progressing in the League Cup with a three nil victory at Fawley while a little further down the A326 Hythe & Dibden moved into the last eight of the Bournemouth Senior Cup with a penalty shoot-out win over Poole Town Reserves. At the end of ninety minutes the scores were level at three apiece with the Wessex League side going through four three “on kicks from the penalty mark” to use official FA jargon.

Two matches on Friday night to start the weekend with both resulting in comfortable looking away wins. In the Premier Division Brockenhurst won for the third consecutive match beating Team Solent, still without a win, 3-0 at Test Park whilst in Division One Alton avenged their defeat earlier in the season and continued their fine midweek form with a four goal victory at Whitchurch with Matt Bunyan scoring twice.

On to Saturday and Sholing maintained their one hundred percent record with a two one defeat of AFC Portchester on their Community Day which attracted an attendance in excess of five hundred. A just reward for a lot of hard work. The “Boatmen”, with two games in hand, now jointly top the table with Horndean who notched up their fourth win in a row by beating Baffins Milton Rovers two nil at Five Heads Park. A slightly surprising scoreline at Portland with Bournemouth winning – that is not the surprise – but the scoreline of six two perhaps can be described as such. The deadly duo of Mickey Finch and Steve Flynn claimed five of the goals with the former getting three.

Hamworthy United’s sad afternoon at least finished with a win as Bemerton, still without a point, went down two nil and Fareham bounced back from their midweek nightmare as a lone Nathan Paxton goal gave them the spoils against Hamble Club. Life returned to normal at the Sports Ground with Lymington winning by the best of five against Cowes Sports. The Yachtsmen, for whom John McKie scored twice, have now lost their last four League matches.

Tadley won the North Hampshire derby two one at Alresford – the home side still with just one win to their name – and somewhat further south Christchurch won for the first time since the opening day of the season by beating Bashley four one. Two goals for Josh Kirkham for the winners and Bashley’s recent run of poor results continues in what was the first League meeting between the two Clubs for some thirty years. Finally Andover New Street are still looking for their first point after going down 4-2 at Shaftesbury, the third win for the Dorset side in matches between the two Clubs this season. New Street, along with Team Solent and Bemerton becoming slightly detached at the bottom of the table with two months of the season gone.

In Division One AFC Stoneham’s 100% record was ended in an entertaining game at Romsey in which the two sides shared six goals with Jack Odam scoring twice for the home side and Sergio Caballero matching that for the visitors. Amesbury also drew, one all at home to Hythe and Dibden, and remain one point ahead of Stoneham at the top of the table but the Southampton side have two games in hand. US Portsmouth made it five wins out of seven with a two nil victory at Newport and Laverstock & Ford collected all three points at New Milton, winning three two to inflict a third defeat in a row on the home side.

The highest scorers in the Division on the day were Downton who notched five without reply against Ringwood with Dan Telfer and the evergreen Declan McGregor both getting two in what was Ringwood’s third successive League defeat. Petersfield, after victories in their last two outings, were held to a one all draw at Follands – a good point for the home side – and two goals from Luca Cordeddu gave Totton & Eling the points as Verwood continue to slip slightly after their bright start to the season.

To finish it is relief at last for Andover Town with their first victory and points of the season. Trailing one nil at home to Fawley AFC with just five minutes remaining they conjured an equaliser and then added the winner in stoppage time. The hero of the hour was Shaquille Gwengwe who came on as substitute at the start of the second half and scored both goals and the League table will look a little sweeter for those with Andover connections today.