Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

AFC Portchester v Sholing

AFC Portchester 1-4 Sholing

Scorers: Rob Evans 16 / Byron Mason 60, 80, Pete Castle 88, Zac Mouland 90+2

Date: Tuesday 13th September 2016 – 7.45pm – Wessex League Cup second round

AFC Portchester: Lloyd Thomas, Rob Evans, Simon Stone, James Clarke, Tony Roberts, Tom Cain, Miles Everett, Joe Bye (C), Nathan Kirby, Steve Ramsey, Joe Peppel (Luke Sweeney 52). Subs not used: Dale Mason, George Wells, Ryan Gristi, Scott Cameron

Yellow Card:

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Kev Brewster (Zac Mouland 52), Jack Attrill, Pete Castle, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Barry Mason, Owen Roundell, Dan Mason, Byron Mason (C), Jake Hoole. Subs not used: Nick Yeomans, Kieran Winman, Alex Sawyer, Marlon Mason

Yellow Card: Byron Mason, Owen Roundell, Jake Hoole

Attendance: 90

Man of the Match: Byron Mason

Referee: Wayne Thomas Assistants: Geoff Skillen & Nigel Gibbens

An inspired second half performance saw Sholing through to the next round of the Wessex League Cup with a 4-1 win away at Portchester. A brace from Byron Mason and Pete Castle and Zac Mouland goals gave Dave Diaper’s side the win but they didn’t have it all their own way at the Blanchard Wells Stadium.

Team News: With injuries to Jack Smith & Owen Royl. Alex Sawyer dropped to the bench as he was feeling unwell. Jack Attrill came in at full back and Owen Roundell moved into midfield with Pete Castle returning to the heart of the defence alongside Dan Miller. Zac Mouland continue on the bench with slight groin strain. Jordan Brooks & Marvin McLean both away on holiday. During the warm up Sholing goalkeeper Ryan Gosney got a back spasm and had to have treatment along with some painkillers which enabled him to start with Jack Attrill on standby just in-case Ryan’s injury developed further.

Sholing kicked off the second round of the Wessex League Cup in an unfamiliar Blue and White kit and it set the scene for an unfamiliar first half performance. It was a quiet start from both sides on a close evening, with most of the action coming on the wings.

Pete Castle had to be alert to clear a dangerous header as Sholing started to fall on the back foot. Ryan Gosney’s busy game started with a couple of good catches from Portchester crosses before he parried a well struck Nathan Kirby shot wide, however he could do nothing about the next shot he faced.

Right-back Rob Evans made a marauding run from his own half under little pressure from Sholing and found himself on the edge of the box. He initially opted to pass rather than shoot but the ball found its way back to him and he placed it in the bottom corner on 16 mins.

The goal scared Dave Diaper’s men into life and shortly after Dan Mason got free and drilled a shot wide with the aid of a deflection.

The match became more even but that didn’t stop Portchester almost doubling their lead, firstly Dan Miller did well to force a Nathan Kirby header wide before former Havant & Waterlooville man Steve Ramsey curled a shot against the bar.

Sholing were seeing more of the possession now as tricky winger Jake Hoole started to influence the game. The Boatmen earned a succession of corners before their best chance of the half came.

Good link up from the Mason brothers created an opportunity for Byron and he struck a Daisy cutter of a shot that Lloyd Thomas could only parry out to Dan. The hotshot must’ve thought he’d equalised but superb agility from the keeper somehow kept the ball out, ensuring the home side went into the break leading.

HT 1-0.

The second half started with Sholing under more pressure and some dramatic defending kept the deficit to one goal. Jack Attrill headed a goal bound header of the line after a couple before minutes later Peter Castle threw himself in front of another Kirby shot following good work from Joe Bye.

Portchester were dominating the second half and Dave Diaper decided to make a change, bringing on Mouland for Kev Brewster in the 52 nd minute, and that changed the game dramatically.

After struggling on set pieces in the first half, practice made perfect when Barry Mason’s corner was met by Dan Miller before BYRON MASON bundled the ball over the line right on the hour mark.

Both sides pushed for the lead, an acrobatic Dan Mason effort was saved by Lloyd Thomas before a Portchester counter attack saw substitute Luke Sweeney with only Ryan Gosney to beat, but he shot straight at the Sholing shot stopper.

Sholing continued to threaten on corners as Dan Miller and Dan Mason both came close with headers whilst Nathan Kirby saw a shot parried away by Ryan Gosney after great link up with Luke Sweeney.

A powerful Barry Mason effort was tipped over by Lloyd Thomas, and the resulting corner saw Dan Miller win another header but it was an easy save for the keeper as penalties were looking the likely outcome to get a result.

However, with ten minutes left Sholing went in front for the first time. Barry Mason played a long ball up field to Zac Mouland and after a brilliant link up with Byron Mason the substitute was through on goal and he unselfishly smashed it across for a simple finish for BYRON MASON.

Portchester didn’t come close to an equaliser and with 88 minutes gone Sholing made sure of the result when PETE CASTLE powered in a header from a Barry Mason corner leaving Lloyd Thomas with no chance.

Not content with a two goal victory, Sholing broke away in stoppage time and substitute ZAC MOULAND got the goal his performance deserved in stoppage time after dribbling through a tired Portchester defence. The result looked easy but for 80 minutes this was a very challenging tie for the Boatmen.

FT 1-4