Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Brockenhurst v Lymington Town 29/12/18

Brockenhurst 3 Lymington Town 2

THIS was a highly entertaining New Forest derby that was end to end for ninety minutes, had a goal early in each half, saw the lead change hands three times, produced one red card and the winning goal from what many considered a contentious penalty kick – and all in front of the largest crowd of the day in the Premier Division, two hundred and thirty three.

A bright start from both sides saw Lymington’s Mike Gosney have a shot turned round the post by home keeper Matt Taylor leading to two corners that came to nothing , before Brockenhurst scored with just five minutes played. A free kick from the left by Jude Nwachukwu was headed back across the goal at the far post and turned over the line by Will TICKLE. A long Gosney run was eventually stopped by weight of numbers and both sides continued to go forward at every opportunity with the home side looking more dangerous in front of goal. A Brockenhurst free kick caused a scramble in the home penalty area with two shots blocked before Lymington were forced in to change as defender Matt Burt, who had won most things in the air, limped off following an earlier injury.

A defensive error allowed Tickle to break clear but he pulled his shot across the goal though the subsequent award of a corner suggested the goalkeeper may have got a touch. This was quickly followed by a chance at the other end as Jake King was allowed to run on from a position that had more than a suggestion of offside about it but goalkeeper Taylor was quickly down at his feet and the ball rebounded to safety. The home side scorned an opportunity to increase their lead when Noel McCarthy Gardiner met a right wing cross with an “air shot” and then saw Brockenhurst equalise with just three first half minutes left on the clock. The goal owed a lot to Lewis Ross for a mazy run that culminated with his shot rebounding off the crossbar and Mike GOSNEY throwing himself forward to head the loose ball in to the empty net. The free scoring wide man does not get too many goals with his head! HT 1-1

A goal three minutes before half time was followed by another a minute after the restart with the visitors scoring again to turn the game on its head. A free kick from the left was not cleared and Ashley JARVIS swept the ball past Taylor to put his side in front. Ross was then wide after a defender inexplicably passed the ball across his own area and King had a shot saved at full stretch as Lymington looked to extend their lead with a spell of possession. Substitutes began to arrive on a regular basis and prompted by Gosney, King put a lob on to the top of the net and was wide with another effort before Lymington bounced back to level the scores with some fifteen minutes remaining as Christos PAPAKONSTANTINOU, one of the substitutes, picked the ball up on the corner of the area and showed clever control and footwork before firing across Jones and inside the far post.

Gosney was cynically tripped by Matt Casey – a deserved booking – before the deciding goal in the thirty seventh minute. The home side broke down the right and Nwachukwu’s cross struck Luke Ansell on the arm from a distance of some five yards and to many it was ball to hand (or arm) rather than hand to ball but the referee can only give what he sees and NWACHUKWU coolly stroked home the penalty. Just before or just after the penalty Lymington’s Ronan Moore received a second yellow card -either for dissent for kicking the ball out of the ground after the whistle. The final minutes were like the Alamo in the Lymington area as Lymington threw everything in search of an equaliser, crosses galore, some fine goalkeeping, a header from Carlo Tate that grazed the bar and some hectic scrambles but the goal would not come and it was the home side that celebrated at the final whistle.

An enjoyable afternoon in the Forest and with Brockenhurst having won the earlier encounter between the two sides it is game, set(t) and match to the Badgers for this season. Finally did the game warrant the six or seven cautions that were issued. The answer is No but if players cannot keep their mouths shut they and their Clubs will suffer. FT 3-2 (John Gorman)