Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Hythe & Dibden v Baffins Milton Rovers 24/10/18

Hythe & Dibden 1 Baffins Milton Rovers 3

The hosts left it really just too late to get a place in the Quarter Final but they did cause the visitors from Portsmouth some difficult moments and gave a good account of themselves. However it was not a comfortable start for the Forest side, inside the third minute, a corner came in and after delflecting off a defender and the keeper the ball nestled in the net giving Baffins an early advantage.
The visitors doubled the lead close to the half hour when Tyler Moret set up Rob TAW whose shot from near the penalty mark could only be helped home by Hythe keeper Ellis Grant.
The game was essentially all over bar the shouting on 37 minutes when Baffins made it three with a stunning volley from Tommy LEIGH just outside the penalty area at the Clubhouse End.
Moret almost made it four when latching on to a mistake by Robbie Pittman but Grant was alert to the danger turning the ball away for a corner.
HT 0-3
Hythe made a couple of changes at the break and changed formation- desperately needed an early goal to get back into contention, but the ball simply wouldn’t fall nicely for them.
Indeed they were unlucky not to go further behind when, Shane Cornish cheekily back heeled a pass five yards out that deflected off the upright and was scrambles away for a corner. The crossbar and upright came to the hosts’ defence in quick succession when the same player taking the corner did both, seemingly with no other player touching the ball, so an indirect free kick should perhaps have been given?
Hythe began to test the visiting defence and keeper and came close just after the hour mark when prolific goalscorer Sam Woodward saw his fierce shot cannon to safety off the post and some ten minutes later Pittman forced Cameron Scott into making a fine save but the custodian couldn’t hold the ball and it spilled to substitute Lewis Fay whose follow up could only hit the post as well!
The goal Hythe threatened did eventually come with seven minutes left when PITTMAN on his Hythe debut drilled it home from a Woodward cross, but too little too late.
FT 1-3 (Mike Robins)