Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

Sholing v Park Sports

Sholing 1-0 Park Sports

Scorers: Dan Mason 62

Date: Tuesday 11th October – 7.45 – Southampton Senior Cup 2nd Round

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Corey Cherrett (Byron Mason 45), Owen Royl, Pete Castle [C] (Owen Roundell 75), Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Marvin McLean, Alex Sawyer, Dan Mason, Zac Mouland (Nick Yeomans 67), Jake Hoole.

Unused Subs: Kevin Brewster, Kieran Winman

Yellow Card: Marv McLean

Park Sports: James Elmore, Danyal Shaw, Wayne Given, Jack Baines (Martin Buck 75), Ash Gardner, Thomas Perry, Roman Williams, Josh Metcalfe [C] (Ian Fowler Jr 60), Ryan Longhurst, Terry Axton, Jack Taylor

Unused Subs: Ant Gardner, Scott Knight

Attendance:                                    Man of the Match: Jamie Bulpitt

Referee: Lee Nowacki Assistants: Mike Misselbrook & Craig Lisher

Sholing comfortably progressed to the 3rd round of Southampton Senior Cup despite only Dan Mason’s header separating The Boatmen and Southampton Saturday Premier Division side Park Sports on the night. Only unlucky finishing and stubborn defending and some excellent saves by Park goalkeeper James Elmore kept the score close at the Universal Stadium.

It was an extremely quiet opening to the game. Park Sports set up to defend whilst Sholing waited for an opportunity which didn’t come for a while, to the credit of their opponents. The only bit of action from the opening 20 minutes came as the referee Lee Nowacki stopped play and left the field and was forced to put a yellow bib on to avoid clashing with the dark kits of Park.

Perhaps no longer being distracted by referee Lee Nowacki, Park threatened with striker Terry Axton firing a shot from distance which was held well by Ryan Gosney. The half chance woke Sholing up and youngster Jake Hoole tried to create an opening with a mazy run before shooting just wide.

From then on Dave Diaper’s side dominated. Goalkeeper James Elmore was kept busy, first having to stop a deflected cross bouncing over the line before stopping an own goal when a Dan Mason shot was also deflected, this time towards the near post and the goalie did well to get a toe to the ball.

Captain, for the first half, Pete Castle was looking to get on the scoresheet and he had a free kick well blocked as Sholing pushed for a goal. Good link up between Sholing’s strikers saw Dan Mason set up Zac Mouland but he could only shoot straight at Elmore

Hotshot Dan Mason was inches away from giving Sholing the lead twice before the half. His looping header from a corner was finding the bottom corner before Jack Baines volleyed off the line, and minutes later his drilled effort from distance was tipped centimetres wide.

HT 0-0

The second half started with all three match officials now in fluorescent yellow bibs to avoid any confusion with Park players, and their first job was to announce the arrival of Byron Mason, the captain for the second half coming on for debutant Corey Cherrett.

Sholing continued to push for an opener, with Zac Mouland somehow having a daisy cutter tipped over by Elmore. Marv McLean was enjoying himself in a more advanced role chasing up and down the pitch and dribbling past full backs for fun, the only thing missing was a team goal.

Jake Hoole looked to be the hero, firing a good effort from distance just wide, as did Alex Sawyer, before The Boatmen finally made the breakthrough in the 62nd minute.

After a long period of possession where every player surely had a touch of the ball, McLean found himself in some space and took the opportunity to curl in a perfect cross that was calmly headed home by Dan Mason in a goal that had been coming.

Winger Jake Hoole found himself in promising positions a lot, especially as he was able to take advantage of a tiring Park defence. He made space for a shot from outside the box which was superbly tipped over by Elmore, and he then had a header bounce wide.

Ryan Gosney kept himself warm with a sharp piece of sweeper keeping to deny Ryan Longhurst a chance at goal and that was the closest that Park got to taking the game to extra time on the cold October night.

After controlling the midfield throughout Jamie Bulpitt tried to make it two with a rocket from about 30 yards out flying just inches over before Dan Mason looked to get himself a second but his shot was blocked after a poor Elmore clearance found its way to him.

Park Sports gave a good account of themselves defensively but in the end they didn’t really trouble Dave Diaper’s side, and The Boatmen saw out the game and head through to the next round of the Southampton Senior Cup. So for the second season the Southampton League Premier Division side exit the competition by the odd goal losing out last season 3-2 to Brockenhurst. FT 1-0

Report by Reece Peacham