Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Whitchurch United v Ringwood Town 22/09/18

Whitchurch United 3 Ringwood Town 2

Whitchurch twice came from behind to record their fourth victory of the season with a best of five goal win over Ringwood on a rather damp afternoon at Longmeadow, a victory that moves them up to eighth place in the table.

With the rain doing nothing to enhance the mounds of earth that now form the landscape on the far side of the pitch, both sides were quickly in to their stride with a cross from Nick Yeomans finding no takers in the Ringwood six yard box and a point blank header from Lee Vint at the other end being well saved by Josh Cotton.

The speedy Rob Okumu was denied by Cotton’s legs before Tom Edmonds in the visiting goal came to the very edge of his area to beat away an intended lob from Emlyn Jones with suggestions, that bore no weight with the match officials, that he may have been the wrong side of the eighteen yard line.

At this stage Ringwood were enjoying more possession and after Jones had collected a caution for an off the ball incident they took the lead as the half reached its midway point. A through ball split the two central defenders and VINT coolly slotted the ball past the advancing Cotton. A superb run by Okumu in the course of which he avoided three wild challenges ended in a corner off Cotton’s legs with the referee then issuing a yellow card for one of the challenges – he could have done so for all three!

A childish tantrum between Jones and Joe Manley resulted in a lecture for both – it could have easily been a second yellow for the Whitchurch player who was then immediately substituted, presumably to save him being sent off , a decision that was far from the liking of the player concerned.

Ringwood’s lead lasted a bare seven minutes as a diagonal ball from the right was turned in by Nick YEOMANS at the far post. Edmonds, under little pressure, opted to save a shot with his feet rather than his hands and then, in the last minute of the half, made little contact with an intended punch and was relieved to see Liam Stone’s effort, after he had collected the loose ball, cleared off the line by his defence.

HT 1-1

Ringwood had, despite the scores being level, probably enjoyed the better of the first forty five minutes and were quickest off the mark on the re-start. Whitchurch substitute Lewis Visioli saw a shot on the turn well held by Edmonds and the quick clearance found VINT in space and he hooked the ball past a rather surprised Cotton from the edge of the penalty area to restore his side’s lead.

As in the first half it was only a matter of minutes before parity was restored. Visioli made the original break, Jack Fisher’s cross to the far post was headed back across the six yard box and YEOMANS was on hand to claim his, and his side’s, second goal. As in the first half the midway point saw a goal as a Whitchurch corner was cleared as far as the edge of the area and YEOMANS’ low drive found the corner of the net to give the home side the lead for the first time.

It was nearly four when from a pass across his own area by a Ringwood defender Yeomans crashed a shot against the bar before play moved to the other end with Jack Ormiston, a former Whitchurch player, finding the side netting after Okumu’s shot was blocked. Edmonds rescued his side when he denied Corey Cherrett after being sold short by an under hit back pass and with time running out the visitors could make nothing of a free kick on the edge of the area and two dangerous crosses bought no reward with one bouncing off the top of the bar.

If Ringwood stole the first half the second definitely belonged to Whitchurch and the result was probably right in a game that lacked nothing in the way of energy and commitment from either side – but it was the home side who finished

Related Images: