History Bournemouth

BOURNEMOUTH HISTORY


LEAGUE & FA COMPETITION DATA


The club was founded at a Meeting held in Abbotts Auction Mart in Old Christchurch Road by eight enthusiastic gentlemen presided over by Alderman J Nerhercoate  (Later Mayor of Bournemouth) on 11th September 1875. 


The club was called Bournemouth Rovers and is one of the oldest clubs in the Country, being founder Members of the Football Association, Hampshire FA and Bournemouth FA.  A brief spell as Bournemouth Dean Park. Bournemouth FC was adopted in 1889 having amalgamated with local club Bournemouth Arabs.


The club was among founder members of the Hampshire League and up to joining the Wessex League in 1986, had played entirely in the Hampshire League except for a short spell at the turn of the 20th Century. Earliest appearance in the FA Cup was a 6-0 defeat at Kennington Oval against Old Westminsters on 1st November 1884. The club played the second game in the inaugural Hampshire League campaign of 1896/97, going down 1-0 to Ryde Sports on 12th September 1896, finishing sixth from eight.


The club has had three homes during its History with their first ground being at East Common near Bournemouth Railway Station, then Dean Park (past home of Dorset County Cricket) before moving to Victoria Park (formerly a Greyhound Track).


The first taste of County success came in winning the West Division in 1905 and then again in 1910. Poppies became County Division Champions either side of the Great War in 1914 and 1922, picking up the Hampshire League Shield in 1913, with Wheeler scoring 76 goals that Season from 47 matches, including 9 in a 19 day period. 


The furthest progress in the FA Amateur Cup came at that time as well, reaching the 3rd round in 1923/24 but a 1-0 home reverse against Botwell Mission ( years later became Hayes) put an end to hopes of Silverware that time. However in 1929 the club was relegated into the newly formed Division 2 regaining top flight status by winning the Division 2 Championship in 1932. 


The club languished in the bottom half of Division 1 for several seasons before finally falling back into Division 2 when football restarted after the Second World War.  The club recovered some of its past glories by winning the Hampshire Intermediate Cup in 1950 and again in 1970 and 1972.


Division 1 status was regained for the 1979/80 season but relegation quickly followed in 1980/81 and again in 1982/83 when we slipped into Division 3, remaining there until being admitted to the newly formed Wessex League in 1985.


The Wessex League Championship has remained elusive coming close on 3 occasions with a 3rd place in 1990/91 under Tommy Taylor, Runners Up in 1994/95 under Alex Pike and 3rd in 2018/19 under Michael Cuffie.


The first piece of Silverware for a number of years arrived in 2010/11, in the 25th Wessex League Season, in the shape of the League Cup, with a 1-0 win over Winchester City.  2011/12 saw the Club reach the FA Carlsberg Vase Quarter Final for the first time going out 0-2 in a home reverse against West Auckland Town. 2018/19 saw the team win the Bournemouth Cup 1-0 against Hythe & Dibden.


The end of 2014/15 couldn't come soon enough as the club were locked in a struggle to avoid the drop from the turn of the year, and only a couple of wins on the road at Andover and Brockenhurst ensured Premier Division safety.  We are proud to be the sole club to have played in the top flight in each Wessex League season.


Tuesday 26th November 1878 is a significant date in the club's history - the club played under experimental Electric Lights at Dean Park for a 'Grand Exhibition of the new Electric Light'. Conditions weren't perfect with part of a cinder cycle Track cutting into the field of play.


Having changed names and kit colours over the years the club eventually adopted the colour Poppy Red in season 1895/6 hence the club nickname.


One of the clubs most famous members was William Pickford (who later became Chairman of the English Football Association).  Mr J. Joy a local landowner and supporter of the club, gave the present Namu Road ground to the club.


Bournemouth Council bought the ground in October 1944 for £3,750 providing a lease on a peppercorn rent. The new Clubhouse was opened in 1985 just in time for entering the Wessex League and the current 205 seater stand provides adequate cover replacing the old wooden Stand that was destroyed by fire during 1974.


The club have been long-standing members of the Wessex League Premier Division, residing since 2006/07, with a highest placed finish of third in 2018/19.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. To learn more, go to the Privacy Page.

×
Share by: