Results & John Gorman’s Round up – September 22nd

F.A. Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
Lymington Town  0-7  Torquay United 
Slough Town  2-2  Sholing
Premier Division
Alresford Town  3-3  Hamworthy United
Baffins Milton Rovers 3-1  Christchurch
Bashley 1-2  Fareham Town
Bournemouth  0-1  AFC Portchester
Brockenhurst  3-0  Andover New Street
Hamble Club 2 -3  Portland United
Horndean  3-0  Bemerton Heath Harlequins
Shaftesbury  3-1  Cowes Sports
Tadley Calleva  1-1  Team Solent
Division One
AFC Stoneham  1-0  Hythe & Dibden
Fawley AFC  4-0  New Milton Town
Laverstock & Ford  3-4  Newport IoW
Petersfield Town  5-0  Downton
Romsey Town  4-0  Alton
Totton & Eling  3-0  Andover Town
U.S. Portsmouth  3-4  Amesbury Town
Verwood Town  1-1  East Cowes Vics
Whitchurch United  3-2  Ringwood Town

A Monday start to a week where most matches were in the Hampshire Senior Cup and a three figure attendance was present for the tie at Test Park between Team Solent and Aldershot. The latter generally pay little more than lip service to the competition but that takes nothing whatsoever away from an impressive five nil victory for the home side with two goals apiece for Ethan Taylor and Hisham Kasimu.

Tuesday saw the final Sydenhams League place claimed in the next round of the FA Vase with a single goal from Sam Burt giving Alresford victory over Verwood and a home tie with Abingdon United. One League match in each Division with Shaftesbury and Lymington sharing the spoils in a one all draw in the Premier – a very late equaliser for the home side – and AFC Stoneham making it four wins out of four in Division One with a four goal victory at Follands, with Marcel Laptas claiming two. Seven ties in the Hampshire Senior Cup with plaudits to Horndean and Bournemouth for beating higher ranked sides. Horndean, with Mark Smith scoring twice, won four one at AFC Totton but the game was marred by a serious injury to the Totton goalkeeper and all at Horndean and the League wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Bournemouth scored a very late equaliser to level the scores at two all with Gosport Borough at the end of the ninety minutes before going on to win five three on penalties. Christchurch found Southampton too strong at Hurn Bridge, going down two nil, and Hamble Club lost by a similar score at Fleet Town. Gary Austin scored the only goal of the game as Fareham won at Petersfield and the final two ties on the night resulted in resounding victories. Newport received a reminder as to the quality of the Premier Division as Sholing scored seven without reply – two goals each for Dan Mason and Lee Wort – and in the all Division One tie US Portsmouth beat Romsey six one at Burnaby Road. The visitors scored first before a Harry Potter hat trick helped see the hosts home in the second half.

Two games in other Competitions and a disappointing night for Ringwood, going down three one at home to AFC Burton in the Bournemouth Senior Cup. This is the first victory by a Bournemouth League side since the Competition was re-instated and it was only Burton’s second game of the season. Finally, Amesbury recorded a rather facile eight goal win over Wiltshire League side Ludgershall Sports in the Salisbury Hospitals Cup with Nic Turpin rolling back the years with a hat trick and Jordan Matthews scoring twice.

Three games on Wednesday to complete the midweek section with two more ties in the Hampshire Senior Cup. At Foxcotte Andover New Street put their League form to one side and on a highly enjoyable evening defeated a skilful and committed Portsmouth side two one after conceding a goal in the first minute. It was also a success off the field as well as the Clubcoped admirably with an attendance in excess of five hundred. Disappointment at Fawley as the “Oilers” came within seconds of taking illustrious neighbours Blackfield and Langley to the lottery of a penalty shoot-out. The scores were level at one all with the full time whistle imminent when defender Sam Poole scored his second of the game to send Blackfield, runners up last season, in to the next round. Just up the road from Fawley, Hythe & Dibden defeated Hampshire Premier League pace setters Infinity by the odd goal in three in the Southampton Senior Cup while many miles to the west Bodmin triumphed in their FA Vase replay with Camelford and will now host AFC Stoneham in the next round.

On a very wet Saturday, probably the wettest day for some months, our two surviving Clubs in the FA Cup enjoyed rather differing fortunes with Sholing deserving of the main headlines, The Boatmen journeyed to National League South Slough Town and after going two down came back to level the scores courtesy of two Dan Mason goals to force a replay at Sholing on Tuesday night and ensure their name will be in Monday’s draw. At Lymington it was Torquay as well as the weather that rained on their Parade as the West Country side, also playing currently in the National League South, overran the hosts and scored seven times without reply. But all credit to Lymington for reaching this stage and for the organisation on the day and the attendance in excess of six hundred was well deserved.

With Sholing on Cup duty AFC Portchester moved to the top of the Premier Division after a late Olly Searle goal gave them victory at Bournemouth while Horndean and Portland joined Sholing in second place. The “Deans” beat a Bemerton side still seeking their first win three nil at Five Heads Park – two more goals for Harry Jackson – and Portland won their fourth game in five with a three two success at Hamble Club with Darren Watts scoring twice. Bashley lost for the first time at home in the League as two Scott Hamilton goals gave Fareham the points while Alresford and Hamworthy United shared six goals at Arlebury with Sam Bayston twice on the mark for the visitors. Cowes Sports lost for the third game in a row as two Steve Smith goals helped Shaftesbury to the three points and it was all square between Tadley and Calleva with both sides notching a goal apiece. Baffins scored three times as Christchurch still seemingly struggle to adapt to the higher level and Andover New Street failed to build on their midweek Cup victory going down three nil at Brockenhurst for whom Nathan Gray was another two goal man on the day.

In Division One AFC Stoneham made it five wins out of five with a single goal victory over Hythe & Dibden, the visitors first loss since the opening day of the season, but Amesbury top the table after an impressive four three victory at US Portsmouth with Jordan Matthews scoring twice. There was also a good performance by Newport, winning by the same score at Laverstock and Ford with two goals from Jared Wetherick for the visitors and Tommy Campbell-Smith for the home side. Verwood were held to a one all draw at Potterne Park by East Cowes Vics, a good point for the visitors, and there were convincing home wins for Fawley AFC, Petersfield and Romsey. The Oilers beat New Milton four nil, Dane Sayce two, Romsey achieved the same scoreline against Alton with Jack Odam twice on the mark and Petersfield achieved their best result for what one imagines is some considerable time with a five goal defeat of Downton at Love Lane with Ryan Kennedy the two goal man this time.

Mention so far throughout Saturday’s fixtures of many players coring twice but there was one hat trick as Whitchurch twice came from behind to beat Ringwood three two with skipper Nick Yeomans scoring all three. In the basement battle Totton & Eling ran out comfortable three nil winners over Andover Town who remain pointless at the bottom of the table. Proof of how quickly things change in football. Last season it was often mentioned in these pages that the Town of Andover’s two sides topped their respective Divisions. The two Clubs have now changed places and both are bottom of their respective tables.