Results & John Gorman’s round up – Saturday January 5th

F.A. Vase 4th Round
Cray Valley PM  3-1   Baffins Milton Rovers
Cribbs  0-2   Sholing
Willand Rovers  1-0   Hamworthy United
Sydenhams (Wessex) League Cup Quarter Final
Lymington Town  1-2   Horndean
Premier Division
Andover New Street 1-4   AFC Portchester
Bournemouth  3-0   Brockenhurst
Christchurch  0-0   Bemerton Heath Harlequins
Portland United  3-1   Cowes Sports
Tadley Calleva 2-3   Bashley
Team Solent  5-3   Shaftesbury
Division One
AFC Stoneham  2-1   Andover Town
Amesbury Town  2-2   U.S. Portsmouth
East Cowes Vics  3-3   Hythe & Dibden
Folland Sports  4-2   Alton
New Milton Town  0-2   Fawley AFC
Newport IoW  8-2   Whitchurch United
Petersfield Town  1-0   Verwood Town
Ringwood Town  1-0   Laverstock & Ford
Romsey Town  2-1   Totton & Eling
Portsmouth Senior Cup Quarter Final
Paulsgrove  1-1   Fareham Town (4-3 on penalties)

The first silverware of the season has gone to Bournemouth as they capped a fine opening half to the campaign with a one nil win over Hythe and Dibden in the Final of the Bournemouth Senior Cup. A single River Smith goal seven minutes in to the second half proved enough but the losers can feel proud of their efforts in this, their first season in the Competition while Bournemouth’s name will go on the Trophy for the first time since the Reserves won it in 1996 and for the fourth time overall.

Not the best start to the weekend as the Friday evening Premier Division game between Alresford and Hamble Club fell foul of the weather, with those who look after such matters altering their mode of attack from rain to frost which rendered the pitch unplayable.

On a cold cheerless January day sadly not a lot of cheer for the League in the FA Vase despite the best efforts of all concerned. All credit to Sholing who travelled to the outskirts of Bristol and defeated Western League side Cribbs two nil to reach the last sixteen of the Competition. Perhaps inevitably Dan Mason and Lee Wort were the goal scorers but it was an overall team effort that kept the Wembley Arch in sight. Our other two representatives, also drawn away from home, went out with Hamworthy United just crossing the Somerset border in to Devon and losing by the only goal of the game to Western League leaders Willand Rovers. On the day it always looked as though goals would be in short supply and so it proved with the result being probably right on what was a poor playing surface. Baffins Milton Rovers headed in the other direction, almost to the banks of the Thames in Greenwich, and found Cray Valley Paper Mills too strong and went down by three goals to one, a late penalty by Jason Parish putting them on the score sheet. But credit to all three Clubs for reaching this stage.

On the home front Portland were the only one of the top three sides in Division One in action and they cemented their second place, albeit still eight points behind Sholing, with their seventh straight win as Cowes Sports were defeated three nil, a result that leaves the Islanders very much in the relegation area. Bashley claimed their fourth win in five matches with an impressive best of five victory at Tadley – George Hallahan two for the home side and Cameron Beard two for the visitors – while Bournemouth followed up their midweek Cup success with a three nil defeat of Brockenhurst, Steve Flynn as usual among the scorers.

At the lower end of the table Christchurch and Bemerton battled out a goalless draw at Hurn Bridge, a result that may overall please both sides, while Team Solent came from behind to win a goal fest against Shaftesbury at Test Park. The end result was five three with Hisham Kasimu scoring twice for the Students while the visitors, like Cowes, are now in the relegation reaches of the League. However Andover New Street remain rooted to the bottom after their fifth defeat in a row, four one at home to AFC Portchester for whom Charlie Cooper scored twice. Still sad days on the footballing front overall for Andover.

A change at the top of Division one as long time leaders Amesbury Town gave way to AFC Stoneham on goal difference though it needed a very late goal from Chris Manning to give the Southampton side victory over bottom Club Andover Town. The result will go a long way to alleviating the visitors’ humiliation of the opening day defeat to the same side and will also strengthen the home side’s promotion credentials. Amesbury were held to a two all draw at home by US Portsmouth, the first points they have dropped in eleven matches, and third place Hythe & Dibden were also held to a draw when they crossed the Solent to meet East Cowes Vics. Three different goal scorers on both sides and a useful point for the Vics. Fourth place Romsey Town stayed in the hunt with a two one win over Totton & Eling in front of the largest reported attendance of the day, one hundred and forty, though sadly again some technical issue meant some clubs seemingly were unable to report their figures. The losers have now taken only one point from their last nine matches and have slipped drastically down the table.

The top four now have opened a gap on the rest of the League though US Portsmouth in fifth place have games in hand. Newport claimed the highest score in either Division with an eight two defeat of Whitchurch with a hat trick from Jordan Browne and two goals apiece for Jared Wetherick and Connor Kelly. A Matt Rowlands goal gave Petersfield a much needed win over Verwood and Ringwood claimed their second win in a row, one nil over Laverstock & Ford with Matt Wotton securing the only goal of the game. The much rejuvenated Follands notched their fourth win in five as they beat Alton four two at Hamble with two goals from Arshia Sheibatzadeh while Fawley won two nil at New Milton to leave the home side still in the basement area.

Away from the League there were two Cup matches with Horndean moving in to the semi-finals of the League Cup with a two one win at Lymington and Fareham exiting the Portsmouth Senior Cup at the Quarter Final stage. The Creeksiders made the short journey to Hampshire Premier Division leaders Paulsgrove and went out four three on penalties after the sides were tied at one goal apiece after ninety minutes.

Some interesting games and results across Vase, League and Cup Competitions but not for the first time this season the plaudits go to Sholing together with hopes of a home draw on Monday.