Round up


The week started with one game on Monday when Team Solent, the holders, became the third Sydenhams League (Wessex) club to each the semi final stage of the Southampton Senior Cup, courtesy of a three nil victory over AFC Stoneham. They will now meet Hamble Cub Reserves at Sholing on the 1st March whilst the other semi-final between Brockenhurst and Sholing will be at Follands on the 9th March.

Tuesday was all Cup football and largely the Sydenhams League Cup. Bashley moved into the quarter finals with Rhys Owen scoring the only goal of the game at Bemerton as the Salisbury based side went down to their second home defeat in the space of four days. Two Quarter Finals were completed with Division One Leaders Hamble Club making the short journey to Premier Division Sholing and taking the tie to penalties before losing out. In the ninety minutes a Dan Mason penalty gave the home side the lead with a quarter of an hour remaining but a Coby Wilson goal in stoppage time took the tie into the penalty shoot out. But with Sholing scoring their first three and Ryan Gosney saving three at the other end it was Premier Division side who moved into the semi-finals. The second quarter final on the night saw Division One Baffins Milton Rovers match Portland’s performance last season by reaching the last four on their first appearance in the competition. Facing Premier Division Hamworthy United they led two nil at the break courtesy of two Ryan Pennery goals – his fortieth and forty first of the season to date – and then restricted their opponents to a single goal in the second half. The last tie of the evening was in the semi-final of the North Hants Cup with Alresford Town going down four one at Southern League Fleet Town. Fleet will now face Tadley Calleva in the Final with both Clubs perennial finalists in the competition.

Despite the overall temperatures reducing the number of brass monkeys in evidence, all the scheduled fixtures were played on Saturday with the status quo at the top of the Premier Division remaining unaltered. A lone Steve Hutchings goal – his 20th of the season – gave Moneyfields all three points at Bashley whilst Blackfield continued their impressive home form of late with a four one defeat of Amesbury at Gang Warily – four different names on the score sheet. Portland scored twice in the opening six minutes at Brockenhurst and went on to win three nil, a hat trick for Ryan McKechnie, whilst Sholing eased to a comfortable three one win over bottom Club Verwood. AFC Portchester fell further off the promotion pace, going down two one at Alresford – the latter’s performances this season bearing little relation to those of the previous campaign. Horndean and Andover shared two goals and the points at Five Heads Park with the visitors having their goalkeeper dismissed in the second half. Verwood remain in bottom place but Fawley’s three one defeat at home to Lymington meant they dropped to twenty first place. Credit to them for getting the games played under circumstances beyond their control but having played more than the Clubs around them they are in need of points. Whitchurch followed up their win at Bemerton with a hard earned point against Team Solent – Dave Redding scoring for the home side on his debut – but Cowes suffered another bad reverse and will be glad that they have no further trips to Hamworthy this season. Having lost eight nil in the League Cup they went down seven one when they returned to the County Ground in search of League points – Mark Ford claimed a hat trick and Steve Smith two for the home side. Bournemouth gained a useful point at Newport and two goals from Simon Woods helped Fareham to a three nil win over Bemerton and eased their relegation worries.

In Division One Hamble Club increased their lead to ten points with a two goal defeat of Weymouth Reserves as closest rivals Baffins Milton Rovers went down four three in an entertaining game at Shaftesbury – a very late Rob Hatchard goal giving the home side all three points. Laverstock and Ford, yet to record a draw in League matches this season, regained third place after a two one win at Totton and Eling with both goals coming from Russell Jones. Christchurch dropped to fourth after their long unbeaten run ended at Alton with a three one defeat. Shaftesbury’s win still leaves them on the edge of the promotion race where they are joined by AFC Stoneham, two nil winners at Downton. New Milton, with two goals apiece from Steve Flynn and Dom Falco scored five without reply against Hythe and Dibden and Brett Denham’s twenty seventh goal of the season gave Tadley victory over Romsey Town. Ringwood won two one at Andover New Street but East Cowes suffered on their travels again with a five one defeat at US Portsmouth with five different players claiming the goals. Finally, Follands produced probably their best result of the season with a six three victory over Fleet Spurs with Callum Coker scoring twice on his debut. Fleet Spurs can score goals but sadly can concede them as well –  and need to break the losing habit.

It should be warmer this coming week!