Round up


Another dearth of midweek fixtures but two of those to be played could be significant and the first was on Easter Monday when Shaftesbury journeyed to Tadley Calleva needing one point to ensure the third place in Division One and promotion to the Premier Division. In a game that was a credit to both sides and the Division Tadley scored twice in the first seven minutes only for the visitors to come back with three goals that gave them the needed victory. They join Hamble Club and Baffins Milton Rovers in the Premier Division next season with all three Clubs having achieved promotion at the first attempt. The other game in Division One on the holiday saw Weymouth Reserves and Alton share two goals and the points at the Wessex Stadium. A little more than twenty four hours later Portland United defeated Team Solent two nil, both goals coming in the first half, to move within two points of Moneyfields with both clubs finishing the season at home on Saturday. One game on Wednesday when a goal in stoppage time gave Andover New Street victory over Totton and Eling,

And so to the final Saturday of the season when all should have been decided but it wasn’t – by a matter of seconds. Moneyfields, two points ahead at the start of the day looked to have stretched that to a Title winning four as a single goal gave them victory over Newport (IOW) with Portland United seemingly being held to a draw by Bemerton Heath Harlequins, but a Ryan McKechnie goal literally seconds from time gave the challengers three points and restored the status quo. Now all will be decided by the result of an appeal to be held at the FA Headquarters at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday over the possibility of a three point deduction from the Portsmouth side. Whatever happens both Clubs are to be complimented on their remarkable seasons. At Gang Warily an Ash Tattersall hat trick gave the revitalised Fareham Town victory over a Blackfield & Langley side that have fallen away in the last weeks of the season, so much so that the defeat cost them third place. That went to Sholing who defeated Team Solent in a rehearsal for the Southampton Senior Cup Final. Alresford Town, despite going down to Andover Town on the day, finished fifth and Horndean completed the top six after Mark Smith scored all three goals in the defeat of Bashley. At the bottom Verwood Town, already down lost four one at home to AFC Portchester – Alex Baldachinno two – and Whitchurch United, who needed to score a lot of goals and see other results go their way to survive, went out with something of a whimper in losing five nil at Hamworthy United. Steve Smith scored a hat trick for the winners taking his tally to 28 for the season. Fawley AFC did all they could possibly do by beating Brockenhurst but it was not enough as a Jordan Browne goal gave Cowes Sports victory over Amesbury Town and the Islanders another season in the top flight. They also climbed above Amesbury in the table with the Wiltshire side, who had a wretched second half of the season surviving on an all be it healthy goal difference. In the one remaining game in the Premier Division Lymington Town scored four without reply against Bournemouth.

Division One was sealed and settled before today and in the sunshine at Hamble the Champions Hamble Club went down three one to a New Milton Town side who have improved considerably over the last two months of the campaign. Second place Baffins Milton Rover scored four without reply at Totton and Eling – two more goals for Ryan Pennery taking his total to 48 with a Cup Final still to come – while third place Shaftesbury topped that with a seven one demolition of Fleet Spurs with four goals for Danny Finnigan, Christchurch’s two all draw East Cowes ensured them of fourth place with Ringwood Town taking fifth spot after a three one win over Alton. Laverstock and Ford, who surely will want to forget the last two months of the season, eventually finished sixth after losing at home to Tadley Calleva. Downton gave departing Manager Rae Hughes a send off with a two goal defeat of Andover New Street whilst AFC Stoneham won by the odd goal in five against Folland Sports. Bottom Club Pewsey Vale went down three nil at Romsey Town and US Portsmouth and Hythe and Dibden could not manage a goal between them at Burnaby Road. Finally mention of Weymouth Reserves, without a game today, who finished in tenth place and were a credit to the League both on and off the field.

Finally, my grateful thanks to Mike Robins for his sterling work on the Twitter front that provides the information for this to be completed every Saturday evening. We will do it again next season all things being equal