Round up

The League took a back step in midweek with the First Round of the Hampshire Senior Cup taking centre stage with game one on Monday at Test Park but there was no change of fortune for Team Solent. The students, still without a point in the League, went down five nil to a Bournemouth side who more than doubled their season’s goal tally on the night with Sami Makhloufi and Kev Foreman both scoring twice. A host of Senior Cup matches on Tuesday but mention first of the FA Cup and the Premier Division. In the former, congratulations to Andover Town and Horndean for their replay victories thereby ensuring four Sydenhams Wessex League Clubs in the next round. Goals from Mark Smith, Harry Jordan and Liam Kyle gave Horndean a three nil win over Hellenic League Binfield and a home tie with Bodmin Town next Saturday. Andover Town meanwhile travelled to Southern League Wimborne To wnand after going a goal behind in the first half, a penalty from Mike Gosney and a Jason Silver individual effort saw them through. They now entertain Western League Cadbury Heath in the next round. Two matches in the Premier Division with Blackfield and Langley moving in to second place in the table with a three two win over Fareham at Gang Warily with both the visitors’ goals coming late in the game from the free scoring Simon Woods. In the other match Portland United and Shaftesbury shared four goals and the points on the Island. Most of the Senior Cup results went as expected though there was a good win for Tadley Calleva by the odd goal in five over Cowes Sports. AFC Stoneham will be disappointed to have gone out at home to a single goal from Fleet Spurs whilst two ties were decided by penalties, Romsey Town going through after a goalless 90 minutes at Hythe and Dibden and US Portsmouth losing out to Combined Counties Cove after sharing four goals in normal time. Hamble Club and Sholing were perhaps predictably too strong for Andover New Street and Whitchurch United respectively while AFC Portchester came from behind to win at Totton and Eling. Petersfield Town, managerless after only five matches, gave a much improved performance in going down three two at Newport (IOW) whilst the individual performance of the night came from Brockenhurst’s Jude Mwachlukwu with all four goals in their victory over Alton, three of them coming in a five minute spell either side of half time. Three more Senior Cup games on Wednesday with perhaps a surprise result at Hurn Bridge. Blue Boam gave visitors Baffins Milton Rovers a two goal lead only for Christchurch to come back with three including a couple from Jack Satterley. East Cowes Victoria earned themselves a trip to Winchester City in the next round with a three one win over a Fawley AFC side yet to win this season while Folland Sports followed up their Saturday success at Weymouth with a best of five goals defeat of Ringwood Town.

So, to a sunny Saturday and Baffins Milton Rovers continue to head the table after a three goal victory at Bournemouth with Blackfield & Langley a point behind in second place. The Waterside Club made it five wins out of five with a three two success at Shaftesbury – Jamie White scoring twice. A hat trick from Dan Mason gave Sholing all three points at Amesbury while Andover Town made it played four, won four with a four goal victory at Newport (IOW). Reece Rusher scored twice for the visitors though he still has a long way to go to match his illustrious father’s scoring feats for the Portway Club but he is heading in the right direction. A good win for AFC Portchester, four two over Portland United with Joe Noakes scoring twice, and also for Lymington Town who had five different names on the score sheet in their five three success at Hamble Club. Horndean warmed up for their Cup clash with Bodmin Town with a four one victory over Cowes Sports, two for Harry Jackson, after the Islanders had scored first and Hamworthy United continued their impressive start to the campaign scoring twice without reply at home to Fareham Town. Bemerton Heath Harlequins claimed their first point of the season at Bashley and so nearly had three with a stoppage time goal rescuing the home Club, leaving Team Solent pointless at the bottom of the table after four different scorers consigned them to defeat at the hands of Alresford Town. Finally, still a defeat but a better result for Petersfield Town after recent traumas in going down two one at Brockenhurst.

Laverstock and Ford head Division One with twelve points out of twelve following their five one defeat of Totton and Eling – five different scorers – while a Nic Turpin goal in stoppage time gave Andover New Street an impressive three two success at US Portsmouth and lifted them to the heady heights of second place in the table. Tadley Calleva are third after a three goal win at Downton while a single goal was enough to give AFC Stoneham the points at New Milton. Something of a goalfest at Hythe and Dibden with the home side coming out best by the odd goal in seven against Ringwood Town – two goals for the visitors’ Matt Steer. Alton and Christchurch played out a goalless draw in front of a three figure attendance and there were three valuable points for Whitchurch United after they came from behind to beat East Cowes Victoria at Long Meadow. Verwood Town continue to struggle after relegation as Romsey Town scored a goal in each half to take the points at Potterne Park, whilst Fawley AFC , unemployed yesterday, remain scoreless at the bottom of the table.

Enjoy the Bank Holiday.