Round up

One game on Monday with Team Solent advancing to the Third Round of the Southampton Senior Cup with a four to victory over Totton and Eling. To compensate for the Vase three days earlier there was nearly a full Division One Programme in midweek and both Blackfield & Langley and Andover Town maintained their one hundred per cent records. A lone Liam Robinson goal gave the Waterside Club the points at Cowes and eleven straight victories from the start of the season which must surely be a League Record. If anyone knows differently please advise. Andover Town meanwhile inflicted the first League defeat of the season on Lymington Town with two Mike Gosney goals giving them a best of three scoreline at the Sports Ground. Sholing moved in to third place with six different scorers in their six goal victory at Petersfield who are now bottom of the table having already conceded fifty one goals. The Love Lane side had a meteoric rise through the Sydenhams Wessex League to the Southern League and at present sadly look like descending at the same rate. Hamworthy United, who had conceded only two goals in seven matches until last night, lost five nil at Hamble Club with the goals shared between five different players. Two Matt Sheedy goals gave Brockenhurst the points against Portland United but Horndean went down to a second successive League defeat, this time at home to Alresford Town with a late goal from Tom Sands giving the visitors the spoils. Bournemouth, who have largely done better in Cup Competitions, gained three welcome points with a four two defeat of Shaftesbury – two more goals for Sam Makhloufi – and Bemerton Heath Harlequins claimed their second win of the campaign, and an emphatic one at that, by defeating Amesbury Town five nil and that is twelve goals conceded by the losers in their last two matches. One game in Division Two saw AFC Stoneham climb up to fifth place with a two goal victory over Fawley AFC. Finally, two Cup matches in the League Cup and the Hampshire Senior Cup. In the former a welcome win for Verwood Town by the only goal of the game against Laverstock and Ford whilst in the County Competition AFC Bournemouth, in their usual manner, reversed the fixture and travelled to Newport (IOW) to record a six nil victory. One game pushed back to Wednesday as Baffins Milton Rovers and AFC Portchester sought to avoid a clash with Fratton Park and a good one for the visitors. The home side were two up at one stage but a Bobby Scott hat trick saw AFC Portchester come back to win by the odd goal in seven.

One hundred per cent records have to end at some stage and both of those in the Premier Division suffered that fate on Saturday. A Liam Crook goal gave Hamble Club a point at Blackfield and Langley whilst Andover Town shared two goals and the points at Portland. Despite their initial loss of points, they remain first and second in the table with Sholing third after a three two victory over Lymington Town in a game of high quality. Lymington Town played some sixty per cent of the game with ten men and were never out of contention but the points went to the home side. Hamworthy United continued their solid home form, and recovered from last week’s defeat at Hamble, with a nine goal mauling of Petersfield Town. New signing Dan Cann announced his presence with a hat trick whilst there was also a hat trick for Edgar Zann – after coming off the bench. Petersfield Town have taken just one point from their last seven games and have conceded sixty goals in League fixtures alone and this a Club who this time last season were in the Southern League. Five different names on the Alresford Town score sheet in the five nil win over Cowes Sports, who had their goalkeeper dismissed at some stage in the proceedings, while fellow Island side Newport (IOW) fared little better going down four nil at home to Baffins Milton Rovers. Joel Jackson scored twice for the visitors who were bouncing back after four defeats and is slowly filling the boots left by Ryan Pennery’s move to Moneyfields.  Horndean also picked themselves up after two losses with a fine four two win at Brockenhurst and Bournemouth added three more points to their growing total with victory at Amesbury. The Wiltshire Club are almost in freefall at present and badly seeking a change of fortune. The form team at present however are AFC Portchester who made it six League wins in a row with their four nil victory over Bashley, Dale Mason scoring twice, and their FA Cup exploits has left them at present with games in hand over most. Fareham Town claimed their first League point in seven games as goals from Sam Kessack earned them a two all draw at Shaftesbury and there was similar scoreline at Test Park with a needed point apiece for both Team Solent and Bemerton Heath Harlequins.

Division One leaders Laverstock and Ford retained their two point advantage with two Lewis Wykes goals giving them victory over New Milton Town and Romsey Town still head the chasing pack, so to speak, with their three nil win over Alton being their sixth in their last seven games. Romsey have made vast strides off the field over the last couple of seasons and their hard work is now happily bearing fruit on the pitch as well. Tadley Calleva also made it six wins in seven with a two goal defeat of bottom Club Verwood Town while AFC Stoneham and Christchurch took a point apiece from a two all draw at Chestnut Avenue. Andover New Street added to the Island’s gloomy day with a six two defeat of East Cowes Victoria with two goals each for Gunner Yates and the returning Shane Lock. This left the three Island Clubs with nothing to show for their efforts on the day after suffering three defeats and collectively conceding fifteen goals between them. Ringwood Town, always liable to score goals, did just that with five against Downton with the regular names on the score sheet – River Smith claiming three and Lee Vint the other two. Folland Sports and Hythe and Dibden, both of whom have only won once in their AFC. Still battling with off field problems not of their making the “Oilers” notched their first victory of the campaign through a single Callum Tanner goal at Whitchurch.

October now and two months of the season gone already.