Round up

One game on Monday this week which saw Team Solent score twice in each half against Hythe and Dibden to progress in the Southampton Senior Cup. The weather made its first real incursion into the fixtures so far this season with only two matches surviving after day long rain. Bemerton Heath Harlequins and Shaftesbury shared two goals and the points at Western Way and Alton, perhaps surprisingly, went out of the Aldershot Senior Cup when losing four two at home to Combined Counties side Bagshot after extra time. Only one game on Wednesday and a significant result as Premier Division leaders Andover Town lost their unbeaten record in their seventeenth game of the season, going down three one at Alresford for whom new signing Ben White scored for the second consecutive match. An impressive attendance as well with the figure being close to 150.

Saturday was a good day, a very good day as far as the FA Vase was concerned, but slightly blighted by the weather and perhaps unnecessary problems caused by same. As with last week the weather was happily not as bad as forecast with only five games lost – two in the Vase and three in the League. Sadly however it would appear that in two cases no consideration was given to the distance the away side had to travel with the result that there was unwarranted journeys caused and in one case considerable confusion.

On a happier note it was a very good day for the League in the FA Vase with six sides through to the next round and the possibility of two more joining them when matches postponed yesterday are played in midweek. There were two all-Wessex ties with Christchurch and Hamble Club coming out on top. Division One Christchurch twice came from behind to beat Premier Division Fareham Town by the odd goal in five with a last minute winner and Luke Stone scoring two, while Hamble Club put their recent poor league form behind them with a five four victory over Brockenhurst after extra time and had five different names on the scoresheet. Baffins Milton Rovers beat Cullompton Rangers three one in front of a bumper crowd and the only Wessex side forced to travel on the day, Blackfield and Langley, avenged last season’s defeat with a three one victory at Exmouth helped by two goals from Rudi Plummer. Sholing showed their Cup pedigree by coming from behind to beat Western League Wellington AFC two one whilst the Jekyll and Hyde nature of Newport (IOW) came to the fore again. The Island side simply cannot win in the League but a six two victory over Hengrove Athletic – two goals apiece for Scott Sampson and Emerson Tattersall – made it eleven goals scored in the last two rounds of the Vase.

With three games postponed only three games were played in the Premier Division with leaders Andover Town bouncing back from their midweek defeat with a two one victory at Petersfield. With all their rivals at the top of the table not in action the Portway Club are now eleven points clear. Alresford Town built on their midweek success with a five goal defeat of Bashley with two more goals for Ben White and Hamworthy United’s poor away form continued with a three two defeat at Cowes. With such a limited number of games there was no real change at either end of the table.

In Division One Christchurch still lead the way despite being in Vase action yesterday as nearest rivals Laverstock and Ford were held to a two all draw by US Portsmouth with Danny Finnegan scoring both the Wiltshire side’s goals. Tadley Calleva recovered from last week’s defeat with a convincing five goal victory at Ringwood but Romsey Town went down six one at AFC Stoneham – though sadly no scorers reported. This allowed Andover New Street, whose defeat of Totton and Eling by four goals to two was their fourth victory in a row, to climb up to second place. A Jimmi Burton penalty for East Cowes Victoria cancelled out Steve Flynn’s goal for New Milton Town and left the two sides with a point apiece while Folland Sports remain at the bottom of the League after going down four one at Whitchurch despite scoring first. Downton, again forced to play away from home because if their floodlight problems, made light of the inconvenience with a highly credible three goal success at Alton while the Fawley AFC / Verwood Town clash was called off by the match referee.

Now we await the Vase draw with the probably vain hope that none of our sides are drawn together.