Round up

Most midweeks of late have been dominated by Cup fixtures – this one went one better by being entirely devoted to Cup fixtures with not a League match in sight! Two games in our own League Cup saw Fawley AFC and Sholing progress at the expense of AFC Stoneham and Petersfield Town respectively. At Fawley the scores were level at two all after ninety minutes with Chris Manning claiming both of Stonehams goals, one in the last minute, but the penalty shoot out ended five four in favour of the home side. Sholing meanwhile scored three goals in six minutes in the second half to end Petersfield’s interest in the Competition. In the Hampshire Senior Cup a lone Bobby Scott goal gave AFC Portchester victory over Romsey Town while Blackfield and Langley made the long journey to Tadley and returned home with a two goal win to their credit. Bournemouth scored first at mighty Eastleigh before going down three one and the final tie between Hamble Club and Christchurch was decide by penalties. Nathan Lynch scored twice for the home side in normal time – the score at ninety minutes was two all – and it was Hamble who triumphed from the spot. Verwood Town, who have struggled all season in the League, produced a surprise with an extra time goal from Matt Vining seeing them through to the Final of the Bournemouth Senior Cup at Lymington Town’s expense. The “Potters” will now meet Bashley in next week’s Final. The remaining game of the evening saw Andover New Street beat near neighbours Whitchurch United in the Andover Open Cup. Just one fixture on Wednesday and a good result for Alresford Town and the League as the North Hampshire side knocked Southern League Hartley Wintney out of the Hampshire Senior Cup – Tom Richards and Chris Mason scoring the goals in the two one success. This gives the League four sides in the last eight of the Competition along with Eastleigh, Havant and Waterlooville, Winchester City and either Farnborough or AFC Bournemouth.

Winter dipped its icy fingers into the fixture list for the first time on Saturday – hopefully not a prelude of what is to come – with three games lost to frozen pitches, but it was business as usual at the top of the Premier Division. Andover Town returned to winning ways with a three one victory at Bemerton after the home side had scored first while Blackfield and Langley travelled to Hamworthy and ended the Dorset side’s recent fine run with a two goal victory courtesy of strikes from Liam Robinson and Rudi Plummer. Andover and Blackfield are clear at the top but the positions of the “chasing pack” change from week to week. Sholing’s game with Cowes Sports was one of the postponements so Lymington Town leapt into third place with an eight one defeat of bottom Club Petersfield Town – a hat trick for Charlie Willett and two apiece for Jake King and Steve Walker. Petersfield have now lost eight of their last nine games and this defeat moves their goals against column in to three figures. Horndean and Alresford Town both won one nil at Bournemouth and Brockenhurst respectively and AFC Portchester were too strong for Amesbury Town, the three one victory leaving the visitors still adrift at the bottom with Petersfield. Newport (IOW) improved their position with a three two defeat of Hamble Club but still have more work to do to climb away from the bottom three positions while Bashley scored the first and last goals of the game at Baffins Milton Rovers but conceded five in between with two for Blue Boam. Team Solent scored seven against Shaftesbury at Test Park, though you would not have seen that result coming at half time when the score was two one, but Solent’s finishing in the second half was exemplary. The only game left to mention was at Cams Alders but a frozen pitch prevented any play between Fareham Town and Portland United.

The top game in Division One between leaders Andover New Street and Tadley Calleva was the third game to fall foul of the weather allowing Christchurch to take over top place in the table on goal difference following their five one win over Ringwood Town, with Luke Stone three and Harvey Wright two making the score sheet. Steve Flynn scored twice for New Milton Town in their three all draw with Fawley AFC – a good point for the visitors given New Milton’s recent form – and Alton kept themselves on the fringe of the promotion race with a two goal win at Hythe and Dibden. US Portsmouth and AFC Stoneham shared two goals and the points at Burnaby Road while Verwood Town’s woes continued with visitors Downton winning by the odd goal in three. Finally, Totton and Eling claimed their first win in six with a four nil defeat of Whitchurch United at Millers Park, the fourth loss in a row for the North Hampshire side. So Christchurch take over top spot but the top seven sides are covered by just six points with the League roughly at the halfway mark.

Hopefully the weather’s interference will continue to be minimal.