Results 24-02-18 & John Gorman’s round up

Premier Division
Baffins Milton Rovers 1-3  Brockenhurst
Blackfield & Langley 3-1  Andover Town
Fareham Town 1-2  Bashley
Hamworthy United 2-1  Hamble Club
Lymington Town 1-0  Horndean
Newport IoW 0-0  Shaftesbury
Petersfield Town 0-3  Team Solent
Portland United 0-4  AFC Portchester
Sholing 3-2  Bemerton Heath Harlequins
Division One
Alton 2-2  Laverstock & Ford
Downton 1-3  Christchurch
East Cowes Vics 1-3  Andover New Street
Fawley AFC 1-0  Hythe & Dibden
Tadley Calleva 0-2  AFC Stoneham
U.S. Portsmouth 0-0  Totton & Eling

Happily all the scheduled matches were played on Tuesday evening with Andover Town’s position being slightly strengthened at the top of the Premier Division without them actually playing as two of their challengers were defeated on the night. Second place Blackfield and Langley were beaten two nil at home by a very disciplined Alresford side who scored twice in the last ten minutes of the first half to take all three points. This was the Watersiders’ first loss in twelve League games. Elsewhere two in form sides met at Portchester with the home side, who had beaten Andover three days earlier, going down by the odd goal in five to Hamble Club, a fifth win in a row for the visitors with Nathan Lynch claiming two more goals.

Sholing climbed to fourth with a four goal win over Amesbury – two goals for Dan Mason – with the only small comfort for the Wiltshire side being Newport’s defeat at Baffins Milton Rovers meaning the positions at the bottom of the table are unchanged. Horndean worked extremely hard to ensure their pitch was playable and were rewarded with a five one victory over Team Solent helped by a Harry Jackson hat trick, and a win at last for Brockenhurst whose last success in the League was back in November. No doubt the toast on the late Ferry home was Mitchell Speechley-Price after his goal gave the Badgers all three points at Cowes Sports.

Two games in Division One with the position at the top of the table changing again. Andover New Street and Tadley Calleva largely cancelled each other out at Foxcotte Park until an 86th minute goal from Zac Neve gave the home side the points and moved them back in to pole position. The other game in the Division saw Fawley defeat Totton and Eling by three goals to two.

Whilst Andover were not involved as regards the League they moved in to the Final of the Russell Cotes Cup with a four one victory over Fareham Town at the Portway with Alex Dockree claiming two of the goals. Their opponents in the Final will be AFC Stoneham who, with Sergio Caballero scoring twice, won three one at AFC Totton which, regardless of the strength of the Totton side, is a very meritorious result for the in form Division One side. The final game of the evening was another semi-final, this time in the Salisbury Hospital Cup, with Shaftesbury winning four one at Wessex League hopefuls Shrewton United. They face a wait to know their opponents with the quarter final between Amesbury and Andover yet to be played and the winners then to face Bemerton for the Final place. Leaving aside the game at AFC Totton, where the attendance would be expected to be higher than games involving Sydenham’s sides, the best attendance of the evening (145) was at Andover Town whilst New Street had the third highest on the night. The people of Andover finally waking up to there being two good Clubs in the Town.

Just one game on Wednesday with Follands, bottom of Division One, travelling to high flying Christchurch. The form book suggested a home win and so it transpired with a Luke Stone hat trick leading the home side to a five goal victory and in to second place in the table.

The top match in the Premier Division Saturday went very much in favour of second place Blackfield and Langley as they inflicted leaders Andover Town’s second League defeat in eight days with a three one victory at Gang Warily. Two goals from Franklyn Clarke, one a penalty, midway through the first half put the home side on top and though Zac Glasspool quickly pulled one back a second half strike from Liam Robinson sealed the points for the home side. To add to Andover’s woes the remainder of the chasing pack at the top of the table also won with Hamworthy triumphing in the battle of the in form Clubs by beating Hamble Club two one and a late Dan Mason goal giving Sholing victory over Bemerton with Lee Wort scoring the Southampton side’s other two goals.

AFC Portchester bought Portland back down to earth after their six goals last week with Rob Evans scoring twice in the four nil win at the Grove while Lymington scored the only goal of the game in the expected close encounter with Horndean. Brockenhurst, having claimed their first League win for months in midweek swiftly added another with a three one win at Baffins Milton Rovers -two more goals for Mitchell Speechley-Price – and Bashley took the points at Fareham with victory by the odd goal in three.

At the bottom Newport gained a point in a goalless draw with Shaftesbury but are nine points adrift of safety. Amesbury’s game with Cowes Sports was postponed – the only one of the day to succumb to the overnight frost – and Petersfield went down three nil at home to Team Solent. All this still leaves Andover Town nine points clear at the top with Blackfield and Hamworthy chasing and Sholing and Portchester in fourth and fifth places with games in hand.

In Division One Andover New Street retained top place with a three one win at East Cowes but, as with the Premier Division, the clubs behind maintained their challenge. A Max Wilcock hat trick gave Christchurch victory at Downton and Will Harris scored both goals as AFC Stoneham made it six League wins in a row with an impressive success at Tadley. Laverstock and Ford took their unbeaten run to seven by sharing four goals and the points at Alton but US Portsmouth perhaps dropped two points in a goalless draw with Totton and Eling though it was a good point for the latter.

A lone goal by Ben Murphy gave Fawley victory over Hythe and Dibden in the Waterside derby while the game between Follands and Verwood was abandoned after an injury to one of the Assistants with the two Clubs seemingly being unable to find, or agree upon, a replacement. So New Street lead Christchurch by a point, but the latter have games in hand, with AFC Stoneham third and eight points covering the top five Clubs in the table.

A chilly week to follow with frost possibly, and unfortunately, having the upper hand over the midweek fixtures.