Results 31-03-18 & John Gorman’s Round up of Week 36

Premier Division
Baffins Milton Rovers  3-0  Petersfield Town
Newport IoW  2-4   Amesbury Town
Portland United  0-0   Brockenhurst

Division One
Alton  4-0   New Milton Town
East Cowes Vics  0-0  Christchurch
Romsey Town  1-1   Downton

Team Solent, who have suffered their share of postponements, must have been delighted to have a game on Monday but their feelings may have changed by half time when their visitors, Hamble Club, were three goals ahead with Dougie Rowe scoring twice writes John Gorman. Solent pulled one back midway through the second half and an own goal three minutes from time gave them renewed hope which was rewarded in stoppage time when Ryan Dacres-Smith scored his second goal to give them a share of the points.

No change at the top or the bottom of the Premier Division table on Tuesday with Andover Town and Blackfield and Langley both winning and Newport and Amesbury losing. Andover were a goal in front at Bashley in the second half when both sides were awarded a penalty in the space of five minutes. Andover scored, Bashley missed and a goal in the dying minutes was not enough for the home side. Blackfield notched up their fourth win in a row with two second half goals giving them the points at Amesbury.

Newport meanwhile went down five nil at Sholing with five different scorers for the home side whilst Alresford and Horndean fought out a goalless draw at Arlebury Park. A last minute penalty by Steve Ramsey gave AFC Portchester the points at Cowes and moved them to fifth place whilst Bemerton came from behind to win by the odd goal in three at Shaftesbury and banish the memories of Saturday’s heavy defeat.

In Division One Tadley continued their revival and moved in to third spot with a six one win over Follands – two goals for Connor Thorne and five goals in the second half – and Downton ended a run of four defeats with a two one victory over Totton and Eling. East Cowes Vics’ game with Romsey had to be abandoned after sixty minutes with the score at one each because of a complete electrical failure and the Fawley-United Services clash was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

Sadly, more rain overnight put paid to Wednesday’s fixtures with the League games at Hamble Club and Hythe and Dibden both postponed. On Thursday Lymington Town fell at the last hurdle as they attempted to reach the Final of the Southampton Senior Cup, losing by the only goal of the game to Southampton. The latter, making a rare appearance in the Competition, will now face Blackfield and Langley in the Final at St Marys. It took 82 minutes before Saints could break down the Lymington defence in which goalkeeper Ross Casey was outstanding. Friday’s fixture between Andover New Street and Whitchurch fell foul of the rain and almost certainly could be seen as a pre-cursor for Saturday.

The rain did duly arrive overnight with disastrous results for the League programme with just six matches being played, three in each Division. In the Premier Division Portland attracted an attendance of approaching two hundred for their match with Brockenhurst but neither side could reward the faithful with a goal. This was Portland’s thirteenth League draw of the season and it took the “Badgers” current unbeaten run to six. The other two matches featured the three sides somewhat marooned in the relegation places at the bottom of the table. Petersfield made the short journey down the A3 to Baffins Milton Rovers and were defeated three nil – sadly the scorers were not reported. The other two sides, Newport and Amesbury, met on the Island and the visitors grabbed a small lifeline with a four two victory – Charlie Urry and Luke Greenway each scoring twice for their respective sides. The position at the bottom realistically is that Cowes Sports are probably the only Club the three sides can catch and even that looks impossible for Petersfield as the Love Lane side are twenty points adrift of the Islanders with just seven games to play. Newport are thirteen points behind their neighbours with nine to play whilst Amesbury have a deficit of nine to overcome with seven games left.

In Division One Christchurch moved eight points clear of the chasing pack with a goalless draw at East Cowes Vics. A good point for the home side and a rare score line for either side. Alton, free of any pitch problems, beat New Milton four nil in an enjoyable game in which the home side took their chances , and missed a penalty, whilst the visitors could not find the net. It was ironic, given what had gone before, that the game was played in watery sunshine with at times blue skies. In the remaining game, where, as at Alton, there was a three figure attendance, Romsey and Downton scored a goal apiece to share the points. Christchurch now look very much in pole position as regards promotion to the top Division but behind them five points cover the next six Clubs.

Enjoy the rest of the Easter break with, hopefully, some football.