Week commencing 23-04-18 + John Gorman’s round up

Monday April 23rd 2018
Premier Division
AFC Portchester  0-1   Shaftesbury
Fareham Town  0-5   Blackfield & Langley
Hamble Club  1-3   Horndean
Newport IoW  2-2   Petersfield Town
Sholing  4-0   Portland United 
Team Solent  7-0   Amesbury Town
Division One
AFC Stoneham  2-2   Ringwood Town
Andover New Street  1-2   Whitchurch United
East Cowes Vics  3-0   Romsey Town
Fawley AFC  2-0   Tadley Calleva
Hythe & Dibden 1-5   Christchurch (Christchurch are champions)
Totton & Eling  2-4   Laverstock & Ford
Verwood Town  4-1   U.S. Portsmouth
Salisbury Hospital Cup Semi Final
Andover Town  1-3   Bemerton Heath Harlequins

Wednesday April 25th 2018
Premier Division
Blackfield & Langley  1-0   Hamworthy United
Fareham Town  3-1   Portland United
Horndean  3-0   Bemerton Heath Harlequins
Sholing  1-0   Cowes Sports
Division One
Hythe & Dibden  5-0   Folland Sports
Andover Open Cup Final
Alresford Town  0-3   Andover New Street

Friday April 27th 2018
Premier Division
Amesbury Town  2-6   Alresford Town
Baffins Milton Rovers  5-1   Team Solent

Saturday April 28th 2018
Sydenhams (Wessex) League Cup Final
AFC Portchester  4-0   Fawley AFC
Premier Division
Portland United  3-2   Fareham Town
Shaftesbury  3-1   Cowes Sports

Thirteen matches on Monday night but sadly not as much information supplied as we would wish. But congratulations to CHRISTCHURCH who clinched the Division One title in fine style. Two points ahead of Andover New Street at the start of the day and just needing a win in their final game, they made no mistake with a five one victory at Hythe and Dibden led by two goals from Max Wilcock. This gave the Hurn Bridge side two wins and eleven goals in their final two matches whilst Andover New Street, following an impressive run, lost their last two, the second at home to near neighbours Whitchurch United by the odd goal in three. Tadley, the third of the three Clubs to be promoted, went down two nil at Fawley who have now climbed to ninth in the table and are in good form going in to Saturday’s League Cup Final.

In the Premier Division Blackfield and Langley now almost have the title in their grasp after a five nil victory at Fareham with two goals apiece for Lerone Plummer and Sami Makhloufi. One win now required from their remaining two fixtures. At the other end of the table Amesbury are relegated after going down seven nil at Team Solent, a hat trick for Mason Walsh, and will join Newport and Petersfield in Division One next season. Those two sides met at St.Georges Park with honours even after a two all draw while the other Cup Finalists, AFC Portchester, went down one nil at home to Shaftesbury, a result that no doubt made the long journey home more enjoyable for the visitors but Portland will not have experienced the same journey after losing four nil at Sholing. The final game between Hamble Club and Horndean finished in a three one win for the visitors but events during and particularly after the game bought little or no credit to all concerned and the matter is in the hands of the County FA.

Back to Division One and victory for East Cowes Vics over Romsey by three goals to nil with Ji Nash scoring twice, and also for Laverastock and Ford who won four two at Totton and Eling. AFC Stoneham and Ringwood shared four goals and the points but an impressive result for Verwood with a four one defeat of US Portsmouth. Away from the League, in the semi Final of the Salisbury Hospitals Cup, Bemerton defeated Andover Town three one at the Portway and will now face Shaftesbury in the Final on May 7th.

On to Wednesday and one can imagine Queen’s “We are the Champions” echoing round the normally sedate Waterside around 9.45 pm. If it wasn’t it should have been as a goal twelve minutes from time gave Blackfield victory over Hamworthy United and the three points needed to ensure the Premier Division Title. “Ensure” is perhaps too strong a word as they could be deprived of the crown if they were to lose by thirty goals at Brockenhurst two days hence, though that has to be considered more than unlikely. It has been an incredible second half to the season for the Gang Warily Club as they chased down what at one stage looked a mammoth points difference between themselves and long time leaders Andover Town, and they deserve all congratulations. Sholing, secure in third spot, needed a late goal from defender Dan Miller to take all three points against Cowes Sports and there were wins, both at home, for Fareham and Horndean. The former defeated Portland three one while Horndean scored three without reply against Bemerton Heath.

The one Division One game on the night saw both Hythe and Dibden and Follands complete their fixtures at Claypits with the home side winning five nil to cap a disappointing season for the visitors. Away from the League Andover New Street put the disappointment of the weekend, when two defeats in three days cost them their chance of the title, behind them by defeating Premier Division Alresford Town three nil – two goals for Zac Neve – in the Final of the Andover Open Cup at Whitchurch.

On to Friday and with Clubs working hard to finish their fixtures for the season the rains came again to cause two early postponements – at Horndean in the Premier Division and Totton and Eling in Division One. Sadly it then in a sense rained on Blackfield and Langley’s parade as with a larger than usual attendance at Brockenhurst, Blackfield poised to take the crown and both teams wanting to play, the referee, having no doubt considered all those factors, decided the pitch was unfit and, as is his right, postponed the game. Two matches were however completed in the Premier Division with fourteen goals scored. Baffins Milton Rovers beat Team Solent five one, a hat trick for Jason Parish, whilst Amesbury Town, who conceded seven on Monday, went down six two at home to Alresford for whom Geoff Dunn scored twice.

And finally a busy week ended with three games on the Saturday. In the Premier Division Fareham travelled to Portland – the second time the two sides have met in a week – and went down by the odd goal in five while Cowes Sports made an equally lengthy journey to Shaftesbury only to lose three one. The big game of the day was the League Cup Final played at the Blanchard Wells Stadium in front of an attendance in excess of 350 with the Trophy going to AFC Portchester after they defeated Fawley AC four nil. Two goals in the first half put Fawley on the back foot and two more late in the game ensured the destination of the Trophy. Congratulations to Portchester and two goal Alec Baldocchino, who was named Man of the Match, and commiserations to Fawley who, for all their efforts, never had enough firepower on the day to trouble their Premier Division opponents. Immense credit and thanks to all behind the scenes at Portchester for their hard work that made the day a success and to Nick Taplin for ensuring everything ran so smoothly

This is he last round up of the season and the writer would like to express sincere thanks to Mike Robins without whom it would not be possible. Hopefully it will appear again next season and we would please ask ALL Clubs to provide as much information as they can after matches to make it as comprehensive as possible.