Portland United FCPremier Division
Ground: Weyline Stadium
Nickname: "The Blues"
- Formed:1921 & joined Wessex League:2015
- Chairman: Robin Satherley - 07513 953778
- Secretary: Randle Gates - 07928 341060 / 01305 820514
- Email: email@example.com
- Clubhouse: Yes
- Midweek: Tuesday
- Colours: Royal Blue shirts, Royal Blue shorts, Royal Blue socks
- Alt. colours: White shirts, Black shorts, Black socks
- Sat Nav: DT5 1DP
Wetherspoons: "The William Henry" 1 Frederick Place, St. Thomas Street, Weymouth DT4 8HQ
- Portland United FC,Weyline Stadium,DT5 1DP
Directions: On entering the Island of Portland, stay on the main road (signposted for Easton) to the top of the Island (unmistakable - sharp steep hairpin bend with the Portland Heights Hotel in front of you). Continue towards Easton into Yeats Road and Easton Lane. 100 yards after passing the Drill Hall (Castle like building) turn left into Grove Road. New Grove Corner is 200-300 yards on the left
Honours:Division One Winners 2015-16
The club was established in 1921 playing at Grove Corner and in 1925 joined the Western League Division Two. Although winning this division twice before World War II, the club never achieved promotion to Division one. They regularly played in front of crowds of two and three thousand – a period when they were virtually unbeatable at their Grove Corner ground. During this period, the club won the Dorset Senior Cup on four occasions and the Dorset Amateur Cup three times.
Following World War II, the club turned semi-professional and rejoined Division One of the Western League, where they remained for the next 24 seasons. During this time the ‘Blues’ lifted the Dorset Senior Cup a further six times. The record attendance at Grove Corner was set in January 1949 when 4,127 watched the League match against neighbours Weymouth – which Portland won 4-1.
The most successful season in the club’s history came in 1965/66 when they finished as runners-up in the Western League Division One and progressed to the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup where they held Yeovil Town to a 1-1 draw at Grove Corner in front of a crowd of 3,069. In the replay at the Huish, in front of 6,005 spectators, the ‘Blues’ were beaten 3-1.
In 1994 the Crown decided it needed the original ground for mineral extraction and the club was provided with a new home a couple of hundred yards down the road – hence the name ‘New Grove Corner’!
The last game at the ground took place on 9 May 1994, when neighbours Weymouth were the visitors in front of a 500 plus crowd. It was, however, a far cry from the record attendance, set on 27 January 1949 when 4,127 saw Portland defeat Weymouth 4-1 in a Western League Division One match.
During the winter of their first season at the new ground, the entire island of Portland had to be evacuated whilst an unexploded wartime bomb – found underneath the penalty area of their old ground had to be defused!
Although Portland did step up to the Wessex League in 2001, they struggled and returned to the DPL IN 2006 where they have been very successful. League winners: 2007–08, 2008–09, 2012–13, 2013-14 and runners up in 2014-15.