Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

Alton v Sholing


Curtis Thorn 39 Adam Bicknell 71/Zac Mouland 31

Sat 16th July 15:00pm The Enclosure


Lee Allen, Adam Allaway, Jonny Way, Neville Roach, Rob Way, Ritchie Gatcum, Henry Hunter, Oli Graham, Henry Fox, Curtis Thorn, Kurt Greenaway (Capt), Subs from: Peter Millington-Lee, Chris Adams, Corey Cherrett, Josh Brewster, Adam Bicknell, Steve Graham, Dan Grey, Henry Salmon, Mark Taylor, James Johnson, Sean Hayes.


Jordan Brooks (Josh Helm 45), Liam Attrill (Kieron Winman 56) Marvin Mclean, Pete Castle, Dan Miller, Jack Smith (Owen Roundell 56), Jake Hoole (Zac Glasspool 45), Byron Mason (Capt), Dan Mason (Sam Jenman 66), Zac Mouland, Jamie Bulpitt (Marc Diaper 74) Unused Sub: Owen Royl

Att: 106

Referee: Tom Moisey Asst Referees: Harry Fitzsimmons & Richard Lines.

Man of the Match: Jamie Bulpitt

Sholing got their 2016-17 season underway with a pre-season friendly on the all-weather surface at Wessex League One side Alton. Holidays meant a few regular players were unavailable Ryan Gosney, Kevin Brewster, Barry Mason, Alex Sawyer, Nick Yeomans and long term injured Dan Dove.

Prior to kick off Marc Diaper and Sam Jenman put pen to paper to sign for the Boatmen.

Sholing lined up with Dan Mason & Zac Mouland spearheading the attack, Byron Mason led the midfield with Jack Smith, Jake Hoole and Jamie Bulpitt both playing wide. Sholing kicked off on a very hot day bathed in sunshine. The all-weather surface meant it was going to be a quick passing game. Sholing had an early scare when Alton charged down Jordan Brooks kick from a back pass but the ball fell away to safety. Then a ball whipped in from the left was easily cleared by the Sholing defence. Sholing got settled into the game and got their passing game going and Jamie Bulpitt was very busy on the left wing with support from Jack Smith. Sholing’s first chance came when Jake Hoole turned the full back then cut inside from the right but his effort was cleared for the first corner of the match, Jamie Bulpitt delivery was cleared for a second corner this was scrambled away and Bulpitt followed up but his shot was also blocked as Alton defended in a pack.

With changes to the laws of the game in place the first strange decision came when Byron Mason leapt and clearly won a header but was penalised when the Alton midfielder was adjudged to have been fouled when he made no attempt to challenge the header with the Sholing Captain. Jack Smith was his terrier like self and was stopped in his tracks and fouled by a frustrated Alton midfielder. Jamie Bulpitt wanting to keep the game tempo flowing took a quick free kick and sold the ball short to Marvin McLean and once again the play broke down the play was becoming a little scrappy with both sides trying to gain the upper hand.

Sholing continued to press forward through Zac Mouland and Jake Hoole causing the Alton full backs problems. Sholing won yet another corner but found the Alton defence difficult to break down with them packing their defence to counteract the aerial power of Pete Castle, Dan Miller & Byron Mason. Jamie Bulpitt was key in Sholing’s next attack but he was again halted when he was fouled two yards outside the area, Pete Castle took the free kick but put his effort just over Lee Allen’s crossbar. With Sholing pressing to find an opening the next chance fell to Alton when a counter attack found Henry Hunter bearing down on Jordan Brooks’ goal but a rush of blood saw his effort almost hit the corner flag much to the dismay of the Alton fans. Sholing created another chance when Dan Masons throw in found Marvin McLean then Jack Smith set up Zac Mouland but Lee Allen denied the Sholing newcomer his first goal for the Boatmen. Jake Hoole then worked another opening for Zac Mouland but his eagerness to get on the score sheet saw him caught offside. On twenty three minutes referee Tom Moisey gave the players a drinks break as the temperature remained high.

Following the restart Jack Smith puts his effort just over the bar. Then on thirty one minutes Zac Mouland finally opened his account when a goalmouth scramble was not cleared by the Alton defence and the ball fell to Zac Mouland who put the ball past Lee Allen. Sholing continued to press for a quick second goal, Zac Mouland fired wide with Allen to beat. Dan Mason was the next one to win another corner, Jamie Bulpitt delivery found Pete Castles head but his effort was cleared. Jordan Brooks had another scare when for the second time in the match his clearance kick was charged down by Henry Fox but Fox was penalised in his attempt to capitalise on the loose ball.

On thirty nine minutes Curtis Thorn levelled for Alton when Marvin McLean cut out a pass but the ball fell into the path of Thorn who hit the ball passed Jordan Brooks from twenty yards. Dan Mason had the opportunity to restore Sholing’s lead but hit his effort just wide. A long clearance by Jordan Brooks found Jake Hoole and under pressure from the Alton defence the ball fell into the path of Dan Mason but again the Sholing strike put the ball wide. Pete Castle and Zac Mouland combined well to find Jake Hoole who rounded Allen in the Alton goal but the Alton defender cleared the ball for a Sholing corner. Jamie Bulpitt cross found Dan Miller but he poked the ball over the bar from close in. Final action of the first half saw Dan Mason set up his brother Byron whose shot edged wide of Allen’s upright.

HT: 1-1

At the start of the second half Dave Diaper introduced Zac Glasspool for Jake Hoole and Jordan Brooks made way for former Swindon and Eastleigh goalkeeper Josh Helm to make his Boatmen debut. As with most friendlies many substitutes are used but confusion was applied by Alton early in second half by suddenly have two number tens and fourteens on the field of play. On fifty six minutes Dave Diaper made two more change Liam Attrill who had a knock to his ankle towards the end of the first half was replaced by Kieron Winman and Jack Smith playing his first competitive match in over four months made way for Owen Roundell.

On sixty minutes Dan Mason was fouled by the corner flag and appeared to have taken a heavy knock to his ankle gingerly continued without treatment. However as a precaution six minutes later former Eastleigh player Sam Jenman replaced Dan Mason. On sixty nine minute a move down the right by Byron Mason and he cuts the ball back to Zac Glasspool but his header goes over from edge of the box.

On seventy one minutes a bizarre goal was scored when Josh Brewster shot was going wide but was deflected to Adam Bicknell who put the ball past Josh Helm. Three minutes later Dave Diaper made his final change bringing on Marc Diaper at left back and moving Marvin McLean up to his former position out on the wing.

With the Farnborough Air Show on just up the road the crowd were treated to fly pass by the Red Arrows late into the second half.

Sholing continued to press forward for an equaliser and Pete Castle saw his header go just wide. Hen in the closing minutes Byron Mason got under the ball and put his header just wide.

FT 2-1