Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Andover New Street v Baffins Milton Rovers – 10/04/19

Andover New Street 1 Baffins Milton Rovers 4

WITH the home side already relegated and the visitors seeking a top six place in the final Table an away win always looked the predictable result and so it proved, though Street’s effort on the night cannot be faulted.

Unfortunately they got off to the worse possible start by conceding a goal inside the opening three minutes and from then on they were largely on the back foot. The goal came from a long cross from the left, keeper George Baxter parried Jason Parish’s header and Callum DART was quickest to the loose ball at the far post. Parish was then too high before the visitors saw a second goal denied by the offside flag as another Parish header was touched past the goalkeeper.

The first home attack saw Lock escape down the left, looking more than suspiciously offside, only for his shot from the angle to strike the outside of the post. The visitors looked the stronger but New Street were not out of the game and after Cameron Scott in the Baffins goal had rather unconvincingly palmed away a corner, he was forced to leave his area to head clear from the advancing Lock. Matt Mariner blazed over in another home attack – it was a miss really – before Baffins created and missed a golden opportunity at the other end.

Parish and Tyler Moret broke clear, two on one on the keeper, Parish made the pass and somehow, with a yawning goal in front of him, MORET struck the stranded Baxter’s legs. The big striker was not to be denied however and with three minutes of the half remaining he fastened on to a through ball and coolly beat the advancing Baxter to double the score. There was still time for Scott to tip a header from his namesake, Matt Scott, over the bar – Street’s best attempt of the half – before the halftime whistle and a two goal Baffins lead. HT 0-2

As in the opening half the visitors were quickest in to their stride on the re-start with a Moret shot well held by Baxter and Parish heading wide before goal number three in the sixth minute. A corner was only partially cleared and DART, from somewhere near the corner of the area, floated the ball high in to the far corner of the net. It may have been an intended cross but if not, it was a high quality goal. Brandon Miller saw a shot saved at full stretch as the visitors continued to hold sway with New Street largely failing to achieve anything in the final third of the field although Scott was too high with another header and Locke saw a dangerous looking cross deflected behind.

The game was in its last quarter when there were two more goals in the space of three minutes. A low Parish cross was neatly tucked home by MORET to make it four before LOCK was bought down on the edge of the area at the other end and picked himself up to convert the resulting spot kick. The game had been played in good spirit but a minor outbreak of “handbags” bought a booking for each side though as is often the case in such instances, which are difficult for referees, the main instigator and protagonist escaped caution. With the weather temperature dropping there was thankfully not too much stoppage time and the visitors headed for home with the three points in their pockets.

This was a match re-arranged because of weather problems on the original date and the Clubs have to meet again before the end of a season which is quickly running out. FT 1-4 (John Gorman)

Related Images: