Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Andover New Street v Hamble Club 17/10/18

Andover New Street 2 Hamble Club 1

ANDOVER New Street have not exactly seen results go their way so far this season with their only League victory being over Hamble Club so it was in a sense ironic that their second success should be over the same opponents, this time in the Russell Cotes Cup. New Street will take the win and progress in the Competition but there are probably understandable thoughts that three League points would have been more welcome.

On a mild and mercifully, given what had gone before during the day, dry evening the home side were quickly in to their stride with a cross from full back Josh Wilson just evading Zac Neve on the edge of the six yard box before they were rewarded after just four minutes. The move started down the left, Callum Sweeney’s shot was beaten out by goalkeeper George McCarthy and Jazz BEAVIS fired the loose ball high in to the roof of the net.

Nathan Lynch was to be a threat to the home defence all evening and his dangerous cross evaded everybody in the home area before defender Liam Attrill was wide with a header as the visitors sought to get back on terms. The home side were enjoying their fair share of the possession with Neve and the energetic Beavis combining well and after Street keeper George Baxter had denied Dougie Rowe with his legs the home side twice came close to scoring as the half drew to a close. Neve’s speed in pursuing a through ball nearly embarrassed McCarthy and from the resulting corner Lock’s header thudded against the crossbar. HT 1-0

Visiting keeper McCarthy was quickly in action on the restart firstly rather fumbling a Sweeney free kick round the post and then having to leave his area to reach an under hit back pass. Shane Long fastened on to a through ball but was crowded out by weight of numbers and was then forced to shoot from a very narrow angle after Luke Neller had sent him clear.

Street maintained the pressure and were rewarded in the 24th minute when NEVE rose highest to head home a long cross from Beavis, the ball hitting the crossbar and bouncing down over the line. A Beavis free kick was a matter of inches wide with the keeper struggling to get across his goal and New Street’s persistence kept the visitors at bay until the second minute of stoppage time. Hamble were awarded a free kick on the edge of the D, virtually the entire New Street side formed the defensive wall but LYNCH found the top corner of the net with practised ease. Too little. too late as the final whistle sent New Street through to the next round.

This was their second fine win in Cup Competitions in recent weeks and perhaps they have to find a way to translate such performances to the League. One final point. The game was played in impeccable spirit yet there were perhaps half a dozen yellow cards. Players are rightly derided at times for their behaviour but on other occasions they do have a right to feel hard done by. FT 2-1 (John  Gorman)

Related Images: