Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

Blackfield & Langley v Horndean

Blackfield & Langley 6 Horndean 0

Horndean suffered their first League defeat at the hands to title rivals, Blackfield & Langley. In truth Horndean did not play badly and for the first half hour were the better side being quicker to the ball and passing well. However eventually the incisiveness of the home side down both flanks and the quality of the finishing and general support play was the difference between the two sides.


Connor Doe had an early chance to put Blackfield ahead but took too much time to shoot, allowing defenders to regroup and clear off the line. They had to wait 38 minutes for the breakthrough when Liam ROBINSON cut in from the right and sent a low shot just inside the near post – goalkeeper Price should have done better. HT 1-0

The second half belonged to the home side. They doubled their lead in the 53rd minute when a cross from the right found DOE who was allowed to fire into the net unchallenged. Two minutes later it was three as a carbon copy of the second was scored by full back Ryan OATLEY.

Shortly after the heavens opened, Horndean’s defence was breached and the roof fell in. On 71 minutes Liam ROBINSON scored his second and Blackfield’s 4th after a move down the left.

And then came the goal of the game. Jordan NGALO had arrived at the match with a big reputation – being trialled at several Football League clubs. Up to the 75the minute he had drifted in and out of this game but then he picked up the ball on the left touchline, ghosted through three tackles, and used the last defender as a shield to curl a shot just inside the far post – a goal of real quality at any level of football.

As the rains continued it was only left for ROBINSON to complete his hat trick in the 81st minute with a delightful chip.

Credit should go to both sides for making this a sporting contest in every sense of the word and a team of 3 officials who were at the top of their game.