Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Bournemouth v Hythe & Dibden 03/01/19

Bournemouth 1 Hythe & Dibden 0

ON the coldest evening of the season so far, Bournemouth and Hythe & Dibden did battle at Hurn Bridge in the Bournemouth Senior Cup final.

These two sides haven’t always had the best of times in recent seasons, but both could be found towards the head of their Wessex divisions this time round – Bournemouth in the Premier and Hythe in Division 1.

Hythe had watched their opponents in the previous match and were aware of Frost, no not Jack (who was certainly threatening!) but Ronald, the Poppies captain and long throw-in expert. It was an early Frost throw that produced a twisting header by Flynn that went over. Hythe got forward with Crookes supplying a pass to Terzidis but Poppies keeper Jones was alert to block. Elsom defended well for Bournemouth, shepherding the ball back to his keeper after Terzidis tried to put in Goulding. The Poppies Smith supplied a pass to Flynn whose 22-yard shot was well tipped over by Grant in the Hythe net and, from the resulting Frost corner, defender Wyatt was mighty relieved to see his attempted clearance rebound off his own post. Hythe got forward and also won a corner, O’Dell’s shot being deflected wide and from that, Pittman drove over at the near post. Hythe almost scored in first half stoppage time but Matt Smith’s firm effort came off the top of the bar. HT: 0-0.

Christchurch, a most excellent host, provided a warming foot-tapping version of Village People and Boney M tracks on the public address system at the interval, but there was relief to see the players emerge shortly after the track Agadoo had commenced!

The Poppies struck the bar early in the second half, Cooper’s cross clipping the top of it. The Poppies went ahead on 52 minutes when River Smith latched onto a pass and his hopeful shot seemed to be a regulation save for Grant, but the Hythe keeper took his eye off it and allowed it to slip through his legs and in. The neutrals in the ground were hoping that an ugly goal like that wouldn’t be the one that settled it. Grant soon made up for his error with an excellent save from goal scorer Smith. Hythe tried for an equaliser, but Fay was well blocked and from his corner, a shot in a packed box struck a Poppies defender close to his hand, there was an appeal but more in hope than expectation. Grant was out well to clear danger when a great ball by Cooper put Falco behind the Hythe back line. It was getting late now, and Grant again did well, this time pushing out a Cooper effort, whilst Flynn found Falco who shot wide. There was a late effort from Hythe and another scramble in the box, but the ball was cleared close to the goal line. FT: 1-0 to Bournemouth. The eighth yellow card came after the whistle, why do so many players not just accept the outcome?

It was a decent, if not spectacular, match. But, what a horrible goal to win it … however, Bournemouth wouldn’t mind one little bit about that. [Gary Day]