Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Brockenhurst v Cowes Sports 22/01/19

Brockenhurst 2 Cowes Sports 1

Players found it difficult to adapt to the wet surface but nevertheless served up an entertaining game. Cowes were unlucky to not get at least a draw as they attempted to put a run of four defeats behind them.

They started the quicker and player-manager John McKie just cleared the bar with an early effort. After 10 minutes Brock did finally get started and both Matt Casey and James Thomson fired over in quick succession.

On 18 minutes the home side took the lead. Matt Sheedy cut in from the left and fired a low shot aimed at the far corner. Ed Hatt in the Cowes goal did well to parry the shot but it fell to Mo NYANG who had a simple task to score.

Mitchell Speechley-Price had scored the winner for Blackfield at the weekend but he should have done better when through one on one with the keeper. His shot was blocked and Thomson failed to convert the rebound. The final chance of the first half again fell to Speechley-Price as he beat Hatt to the ball but from a narrow angle his shot trickled along the line, hit the far post and bounced back into play HT 1-0

The second half had hardly begun when Cowes equalised from a free kick given away by Joe Chamberlain at the expense of a yellow card. Gareth BRICKNELL teed up the ball 20 yards out and his kick evaded the wall as it sped past a stranded Matt Taylor.

Cowes continued on the front foot and Jack Broomfield fired just over when well placed. On 72 minutes there was a moment of controversy as Jude Nwanchukwu’s shot deflected into the path of Matt Sheedy who “scored” from close range. The Assistant’s flag stayed down and a goal was awarded which was the cue for 10 Cowes players to surround the referee claiming offside. After consultations between the ref and his assistant, the goal was disallowed and a free kick awarded for offside.

The game was very open and the next chance fell to Cowes when Finley Phillips was wide with a shot on his less-favoured right foot.

Finally in the last minute of normal time Brockenhurst secured the win. Substitute Will Tickle cut inside from the right and was adjudged to have been blocked by a Cowes defender though it was difficult to see what the defender could have done to avoid the challenge. Tickle took the free kick which resulted in a goalmouth scramble from which Matt CASEY emerged to prod the ball home.

There was still a final chance in stoppage time for Cowes to level but substitute Jez Conway lacked composure and shot over from a good position. FT 2-1 (Roger Allen)