Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Fareham Town v Basingstoke Town 15/01/19

Fareham Town 0 Basingstoke Town 7

HOPED this might have been a bit closer, but Fareham had a few players cup-tied and the visitors’ squad included 8 starters and 3 substitutes from Saturday. The visitors’ plan seemed to be to kill the game off early and then take it a bit easier.

This worked well, a Dean Stow free-kick forced a decent save in only the third minute, Bayliss forcing another save from the resultant corner. After 5 minutes Ben WRIGHT ran through and got there at the same time as the keeper, the ball looped up and Wright bundled it in with a couple of defenders on the line. After discussion with his lineswoman the ref gave it, despite a great suspicion of handball.

Wright forced another good save out of Whyte before it was 0-2 after 9 minutes, a good break from midfield saw a good finish from Sam DEADFIELD. Wright was a constant menace and he had another shot saved, curled another one onto the post, and had another shot wide all before 20 minutes were up. Left back Gerrard also came close twice (one offside). The game then seemed to quieten down and the home team managed to get forward. Hamilton had their first shot on target after 32 minutes, easily saved. Wright had another one saved and put another one over before half time, still only 0-2. HT 0-2

Game plan after the break – strike early and make it easy for the rest of the game. This time Fareham held out for 10 minutes, but Hunt and Wright both came close, and Austin should have scored for the home team as he ran clear, but McGill blocked his shot well. If only that had gone in…. instead it was three for the visitors as WRIGHT turned well and shot into the corner, another good turn and shot into the corner by SMART made it four after 67. After a couple more missed chances, sub Zaidan AKERS scored, STOW finished well to make it six after 78, and SMART followed up a rebound after Whyte had saved well from Akers on 88 minutes to complete the scoring. Whyte made a couple more good saves to keep it at seven, he did pretty well. Basingstoke played some good stuff and looked a decent team. Fareham battled well until they tired near the end. FT 0-7 (Paul Harris)