Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Folland Sports v Whitchurch United 30/11/18

Folland Sports 3 Whitchurch United 2

Occasionally good initiatives pay off as Folland Sports took advantage of a break in the bad weather to bring a game forward to a Friday evening to earn a good attendance and more importantly 3 points.

However the evening did not start off too well as Whitchurch should have been in the lead within the first minute. Merson Webb ran clear onto a through ball but he was unable to finish. Both sides traded blows with the home side coming nearest to scoring, particularly from corners, which on two occasions flashed across goal without anyone applying the finishing touch.

It was the visitors that made the breakthrough on 24 minutes with a carbon copy of their move in the first minute. Once again WEBB streaked clear and this time he was able to score low past Downs in the home goal.

Almost immediately Follands were back on level terms with a goal in which none of their players played any part. Whitchurch keeper, Tom Cotton, had the ball at his feet in the middle of his penalty area with no Follands player within yards. With his clearance, he managed to hit one of his defenders squarely in the back and the ball bounced back past the stranded keeper for the most bizarre of OWN GOALs.

On 37 minutes Follands were in front as a cross from the right was headed in by an unmarked Luke RYMAN from close range H.T. 2-1

Within 5 minutes of the break ‘Church were back on level terms. Once again the danger came from the left as WEBB finished low past Downs. Follands were to suffer another blow before the hour mark as centre half Matt Cox was sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity when he handled just outside the penalty area. Nathan Gray’s subsequent free kick was off target.

Although a player down, Folland’s spirit wasn’t affected and they were back in front after 63 minutes when Breon GRAHAM was unmarked in front of goal to head in.

Both sides had chances to score again before the final whistle but the score line didn’t change up to the final whistle. This was a game that both sides would claim they deserved to win which is probably a sure sign that, to the neutral, a draw would have been a fair result. FT 3-2 (Roger Allen)