Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Hamble Club v Hamworthy United 01/12/18

Hamble Club 1 Hamworthy United 1

THERE may be a tinge of disappointment when your club is pitted against another from the same league in an FA competition, as Hamble Club and Hamworthy United faced each other in the FA Vase this afternoon. One thing such a tie will determine is at least one of these Wessex League teams will progress into the next round; alas, the teams would have to wait for another day to find out that particular answer as they will need to meet again. Despite the overnight and morning rain, the pitch at the Hamble Community Facility was in a fine condition as the teams took the field.

It was Hamble who took the lead on 13 minutes when Ben Kemplen’s cross was touched onto the bar at the far post by Hammers keeper Tom Rees and when Nathan Lynch tried to capitalise on the loose ball he was brought down by Declan Randall. Up stepped LYNCH to take the spot-kick, it was low and fairly straight, and Rees kept it out only for the taker to follow it up by shooting home. A strange occurrence next as when Sean Wright attempted to take the kick-off, he didn’t play the ball back firmly enough and conceded a free-kick by kicking it twice! This perhaps suggested it was not to be the Hammers day, but not so, they were level within five minutes when Eddie Hodge crossed to the far post where Ollie DAVIES also benefited from a rebound off the keeper, following up after Rory Anderson had saved his initial effort. Anderson made successive saves to deny a Sam Bayston header and then a Hodge shot. A competitive edge continued throughout, which remained up to the break with neither side able to find the cutting edge. HT 1-1

Hamble had a good fifteen-minute spell early in the second half, when headers by Ryan Wilkins and later by Lynch, were both saved by Rees. Play became more even and both sides lacked a touch of composure in their build ups, resulting in moves breaking down. A Wilkins shot was deflected clear by Jamie Filkins whilst Davies had a further opportunity for the Hammers but his attempted chip from the edge of the ‘dee’ went just over. FT (90 minutes) 1-1

Into extra time and this ‘cat and mouse’ affair continued with threats not being turned into chances. There was some good defending too with skipper Nathan Walker doing well in the Hammers back line, getting in a powerful header to clear. A late penalty appeal came when Hamble’s Ricky Bull was challenged heavily by Adam Costello but referee Conal Bartlett was well placed and play went on. FT/ ET 1-1

A very full two hours play was necessary and to this neutral observer it was a fair outcome with a reasonable amount of attacking threat but limited invention. It now moves to the 3G surface at Hamworthy on Tuesday night when it will then be known which one of these Wessex League teams will go through … and the fourth round draw will be known too. (Gary Day)