Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Hamworthy United v Shaftesbury 30/10/18

Hamworthy United 1 Shaftesbury 3

VISITORS Shaftesbury deservedly won this midtable contest principally through their work rate, which was evident from start to finish, and persistence rewarded them with a third goal in the last five minutes when Jamie DANORIS finished from close range after fellow player Jack Mitchell had harried the home defence and made Hammers’ keeper Nick Hutchings gift the ball to the opposition. Similarly at the other end of the game, the Rockies opened their account with one of the first real attacks of the game, that saw Greg PEEL turn and fire a left footed strike beyond former Poole Town keeper Nick Hutchings on 16 minutes.

In reply Hamworthy’s Jamie Gleeson had a shot and in a crowded penalty area, the visiting defence manage to clear the danger. Shortly after the hosts threatened again, this time River Smith made a long unchallenged run from halfway and across the face of goal at the edge of the penalty area, but couldn’t find the finishing touch. Shaftesbury extended their lead on 36 minutes when a Lewis Morgan free kick was met by Nick HEWLETT, whose header went into the roof of the net. HT 0-2

A timely challenge from Aaron White inside the penalty area made sure that Hamworthy couldn’t get an early response and it was almost three nil, when Peel broke through but used his arm in the process and the effort was quite rightly ruled out. Meanwhile at the Bridge End, a long range shot from Peprah-Annan was all that Hamworthy could muster as the game entered the final quarter of an hour. A long range strike from wide hit the front wheel of the goal and bounced back into play, everybody stopped, then Adam Flint just tapped the ball home.

There was some controversy but the goal was again quite rightly ruled out, and the “gamesmanship” from both sides left a lot to be desired, with only one yellow card being shown by the Referee who had a good game it must be said. Substitute Luke Stone and Eddie Hodge combined well but the visiting keeper was up to the task, denying Stone with his feet. After going down to a third, Hamworthy grabbed a consolation from Nathan WALKER, hitting the net from close range in a packed goal area in the last moments of normal time. FT 1-3 (Mike Robins)