Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Hythe & Dibden v Hamworthy United 11/12/18

Hythe & Dibden 3 Hamworthy United 1

This was the proverbial game of two halves. After an opening period that provided little of note to write about, the second half was full of incident to the extent that the writer’s note taking equipment gave up through overwork.

Hythe started the brighter and were certainly not overawed by opponents coming off a convincing win that took them into the last 32 of the F.A. Vase. However it took 20 minutes to fashion the first chance when a shot from Liam Golding was tipped over by Hamworthy keeper Tom Rees.

Almost immediately Hamworthy had a chance at the other end as Ellis Grant in the home goal made a rare mistake in mishandling a cross at the expense of a corner. The next chance also fell to the away side but Sam Bayston shot from 20 yards was straight at Grant. HT 0-0

Three of the goals came in a seven minute spell just before the hour mark and it took a stroke of luck to get the score sheet off and running. On 52 minutes GOLDING cut inside from the left and shot from 15 yards. The ball took a nasty deflection off a Hammers defender and looped over Rees into the goal.

However 2 minutes later Hamworthy were back in business. A cross from the left took the faintest of touches off Nathan WALKER but it was sufficient to deceive Grant. On 59 minutes Hythe restored their lead. Again it came down the left flank as this time Sammy Woodward cut into the penalty area and unleashed a low shot which Rees did well to parry. However the ball fell to Rob PITMAN who scored from close range.

By now the action was in full swing at both ends of the field but, as time wore on, Hythe came more into the ascendency. During this period Rees was outstanding producing a number of excellent saves to keep his side in the game.

As full time beckoned, would Hythe shut up shop – not one bit of it. They brought on Cain Prentice to spearhead the attack and got forward in numbers to lay siege to the Hammers goal. Finally in the first minute of stoppage time WOODWARD ran onto a through ball and finished low past Rees. FT 3-1

As the Hamworthy Chairman said at the end “we got what we deserved tonight”. All credit to Hythe as they go on to meet Poppies in the final on Tuesday at Hurn Bridge. (Roger Allen)