Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Hythe & Dibden v Petersfield Town 27/10/18

Hythe & Dibden 3 Petersfield Town 0

ON the coldest afternoon of the season to date – though the temperature on the Waterside was a balmy three degrees higher than in the north of the County – Hythe & Dibden retained their place at the top of the Division One table with a win over Petersfield that was obtained largely through a dominant first half display by the home side.

The opening minutes were rather cagey with the home side having most of the possession but making little forward progress though the first real effort on goal came from the visitors Harry Giles with a shot that was inches the wrong side of the post. Slowly the home side began to make their possession count and after Dave Wyatt had been crowded out in pursuit of a Cain Prentice through ball, Sam Woodward sent Prentice away but his lob cleared the advancing goalkeeper and the crossbar. On sixteen minutes their pressure was rewarded when Prentice fastened on to a huge clearance from keeper Ellis Grant and was bundled over in the area with WOODWARD converting the resultant spot kick. The game eventually re-started after a lengthy conversation between the referee and the Petersfield bench who had made their disagreement with the decision rather clear.

Harry Tremlett got away on the left for the visitors with his cross just too high for the incoming Callum Coker before the home side made it two nil. A long cross from the left was met by a firm header by Woodward at the far post, keeper Tom Jackson did well to beat the ball away but PRENTICE acted the quickest to slot home. A Hythe corner passed across the six yard box with all present failing to make contact and another huge clearance from Grant sent John Stahler away with his shot tipped round the post by Jackson. This was the last action of the half, a half largely dominated by the home side who always looked dangerous when they went forward whereas Petersfield’s attacks tended to fizzle out on the edge of the area. HT 2-0

Petersfield were very quickly in to their stride on the restart with two corners in quick succession and an effort from Giles that was just wide. They then had two free kicks on the edge of the D with Grant saving the first at the expense of a corner, from which the ball was cleared off the line in a goalmouth scramble, and the second again passing the wrong side of the post. Some neat control by Stahler won the home side a corner and Ryan Kennedy rather wasted a chance at the other end before Jackson superbly saved from Matt Smith and then blocked the follow up from Stahler. Petersfield were still having the better of the half in terms of possession but with ten minutes left it was game over. Stahler made the original break, Woodward rolled the ball in to Wayne O’DELL’s path and his cool finish made it three nil.

Woodward had two chances to increase the deficit losing control with the first and lobbing the keeper and bar with the second before the final whistle ended a chilly afternoon. An enjoyable game in which Hythe always had the more firepower and enjoyed in the company of the Blackfield and Langley Secretary with the usual warm welcome and hospitality from the home Club. And if the football waned then Clayfields was on the incoming flightpath to Southampton Airport all afternoon. FT 3-0 (John Gorman)