Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Shaftesbury v Hamworthy United – 09/04/19

Shaftesbury 1 Hamworthy United 1

AFTERNOON rain had put a dampener on the game leaving the Cockrams turf with a slick surface, to a certain extent this had end of season all over it and was a scrappy affair with neither side able to stamp their authority on the game.

The opening goal came on seven minutes. With the Rockies attacking the Clubhouse end, a poor back pass wasn’t dealt with by Hammers keeper Rees, and it was won by Derick HAYFORD who had the simple task of rounding the keeper to stroke the ball home. The striker was unlucky around ten minutes later when a shot from distance was charged down, whilst at the other end Luke Stone tried his luck from distance. A run from James Rowe in the latter part of the half saw the midfielder effectively run out of steam as he entered the penalty area and with no Hamworthy players in support saw him unable to find the target. HT 1-0

There was an early chance for an equaliser that resulted in a corner and moments after the ball was in the net only for it to be correctly ruled out for offside. Weak defending though almost saw Shaftesbury get their second, but the best chance in this spell fell to Hamworthy when Shaftesbury’s White gave away a silly free kick with a foul on Stone but the chance went begging from just wide of the 18 yard box.

A Sean Wright header almost drew the visitors level and it signalled the start of a spell of pressure from the Hammers although they never really tested Phil Woods in the home goal. However a clumsy foul on Hamworthy’s young sub Neemo Nixon saw them awarded a penalty which STONE calmly put away to restore parity. Shaftesbury substitute Ryan Mitchell almost restore the lead but scooped his effort wide. The final few minutes were quite frantic with both sides looking for a winner that never came with Shaftesbury’s Jack Mitchell missing a great opportunity before a 90th minute strike from Stone rebounded to safety off the upright. A draw was probably the right result in the end. FT 1-1 (Mike Robins)