Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

Sholing v Blackfield & Langley

Sholing 1 Blackfield & Langley 1

Lee Wort 23/ Harry Jackson 45+4

Date: 1st April 2017 Sydenhams Wessex Premier Division The Universal Stadium

SHOLING: Ryan Gosney; TJ Cuthbertson, Dan Miller, Luke Dempsey, Marvin McLean, Owen Royl, Micky Hubbard, Owen Roundell, Jake Hoole (Barry Mason 80) Lee Wort (Zac Mouland 35), Dan Mason. Substitutes not used: Kevin Brewster, Nick Yeomans, Jamie Bray.

Yellow Cards: None
BLACKFIELD&LANGLEY: Brad Snelling; Jordan N’Galo, Steve Walker, Sam Poole, Ryan Oatley; Connor Hoare, Kayne Daish; Harrison Fay, Rico Wilson (Manny Soetan 57), Harry Jackson (Luke Winsper 72); Jamie White. Substitutes not used: Joe Byrne.

Yellow Cards: Steve Walker
Attendance: 90

Man of the Match: Micky Hubbard

Referee: Tom Moisey Assistant Referees: Harry Redman & Geoff Skillen.

Team News: Dave Diaper once again had to make changes from the Alresford midweek win Skipper Byron Mason was ill, Jamie Bulpitt injured on Wednesday. So both Owen’s Royl & Roundell slotted into midfield to replace them. Jake Hoole replaced Zac Mouland who stepped down to the bench. Welcoming news was the return of Barry Mason to the bench for the first time since Valentine’s Day, however new signing Bradey Norton was away and unable to make his debut.   

Sholing’s four-match winning run was ended as they shared the points with third-placed Blackfield & Langley in their penultimate home match of the season. Lee Wort put Sholing ahead with his fourth goal in as many games midway through the first half but Harry Jackson equalised on the stroke of half-time.

Visiting keeper Brad Snelling was the busier of the two in the second half, but a draw was the fairest outcome from a tightly-contested encounter. The result sees B&L keep their four-point advantage over the Boatmen in the table.

The opening effort came in 7th minute when Dan Mason fired wide after Lee Wort had won the ball and then the striker forced a smart save from Brad Snelling early on, and Harry Jackson went close at the other end in the 17th minute.

Sholing were rewarded for their bright start when they took the lead on 25 minutes with Wort’s 18th goal of the season and forth in succession.

Jake Hoole collected the ball on the left and found Lee Wort who thumped in an unstoppable shot from 15 yards.

The striker endured a bittersweet afternoon, though, and had to go off with a hamstring injury ten minutes before the break, with Zac Mouland coming on.

With 5 minutes to half time Dan Mason had the chance to double Sholing’s lead but flashed his header wide but B&L equalised against the run of play deep in first half stoppage time caused through the delay during Lee Wort’s injury.

Ryan Gosney fumbled Jordan N’Galo’s shot from distance and then thwarted Jamie White on the rebound but the ball fell to Harry Jackson who controlled and finished well from twenty yards.

HT: 1-1

Within two minutes of the restart, Sholing were on the front foot and set about restoring the advantage.

Jake Hoole’s strike from distance was blocked by Steve Walker and substitute Zac Mouland’s low effort was tipped past the post by Snelling.

Jamie White was the visitor’s most dangerous attacking threat and fired a shot narrowly wide on the angle in Backfield’s first chance of the half.

Dan Mason then had a strong penalty appeal turned down on 71 minutes when he was bundled over by a defender. But the appeals were waved away by referee Moisey.

Brad Snelling saved well from Dan Mason, then on 80 minutes it was a welcome return for Barry Mason following his ankle operation who replaced Jake Hoole. Then Ryan Gosney was then called into action at the other end to keep out substitute Luke Winsper with a crucial save.

Mick Hubbard was denied by the increasingly busy Brad Snelling late on, but the two high-flyers were forced to settle for a share of the spoils.

FT: 1-1

Boss Dave Diaper on the game: “It was an even game, as it usually is when we play them.
“A draw was probably fair, I felt we edged it but they had chances as well and it was disappointing to concede when we did.
“It consolidates fourth for us, we could’ve been one point behind them with a win but I’m reasonably pleased.”

On Wort’s injury: “I’d hope that we’ve caught Worty’s injury early enough, we took him off and he’s had treatment so hopefully he’ll be fit in time for the cup finals.
“Hamstrings can be a difficult injury to predict but I’d say he’s probably looking at two weeks out.
“It was a mixed day for him, he scored a very good goal but then to get injured is disappointing.”