Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

Sholing v Buckland Athletic


Scorers: Charlie Johnson (39), Richard Groves (84), Marc Revell (86)

Date: Saturday October 22, 2016

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Kevin Brewster, Marv McLean, Pete Castle, Owen Roundell, Jamie Bulpitt, Barry Mason (Zac Mouland 38), Alex Sawyer (Nick Yeomans 65), Dan Mason, Byron Mason (C), Jake Hoole (Owen Royl 58). Unused subs: Jean-Luc Ramdin, Josh Milsom.

Yellow Card: Marv McLean (53), Byron Mason (90) Jamie Bulpitt (92)

Red Card: Byron Mason (90)

Buckland Athletic: Grant Fisher, Clifford Walters, Liam Drew, Karl Green (Simon Revell 58), Simon Laughton, Liam Head (C), Danny Griffiths, Richard Groves (Marc Revell 86), Gavin Hammon, Charlie Johnson, Lloyd Gardner (Ryan Dabbs 88). Unused subs: Lewis Perrin, Ellis Laight.

Yellow Card: Liam Head (75)

Attendance: 147

Man of the Match: Jamie Bulpitt

Referee: Alex Rush-Fear Assistants: Russell Morris & Lewis Ward

Team news: Dan Miller misses through the injury he picked up on Tuesday against New Milton Town in the Russell Coates Cup. Owen Roundell takes his place while Pete Castle returns in place of Kieran Winman. Marv McLean, Ryan Gosney and Jamie Bulpitt also started in place of Owen Royl, Josh Milsom and Zac Mouland, who all dropped to the bench and Dave Diaper included another 16 year old into the squad calling up Jean-Luc Ramdin.

2014 winners Sholing were dumped out of the FA Vase by Buckland Athletic for the second straight year after the visitors won 3-0 in the first-round at Universal Stadium.

The Bucks had eliminated the Boatmen in the second-round stage last year after a 2-1 extra time victory at Homers Heath and made it back-to-back knock-outs thanks to goals from Charlie Johnson, Richard Groves and Marc Revell.

Charlie Johnson opened the scoring for Buckland in the 39th minute after smashing a loose ball from a free kick into the top corner from 18 yards.

Groves doubled the lead in the 84th minute after a tidy finish from 18 yards, while Revell confirmed the victory two minutes later by scoring ten seconds after he came on.

Skipper Byron Mason saw red in the closing stages after receiving two quick bookings for dissent.

The home side started on the front foot as Kevin Brewster’s deep ball was beautifully taken down on the chest by Jamie Bulpitt and the midfielder’s shot fell to Dan Mason, whose ambitious overhead kick flew over the bar.

A lovely one-two between Dan Mason and Jamie Bulpitt found space for the former, who created a shooting opportunity but dwelled too much and allowed Simon Laughton to get back in time to block his effort.

Barry Mason’s attempt was foiled by Grant Fisher in the visiting goal, while the Bucks began producing some goal-scoring chances for themselves – Richard Groves coercing some excellent defending from Pete Castle.

The impressive Lloyd Gardner was causing problems down the left and it was his in-swinging corner that fashioned the first real chance of the match as Richard Groves drew a superb point-blank save from Ryan Gosney after he was afforded a free header.

The Boatmen thought they should have had a penalty in the 31st minute after a handball from Clifford Walters but referee Alex Rush-Fear waved away the protests.

Captain Byron Mason tried to break the deadlock for Sholing as he rose highest at the far post from Kevin Brewster’s corner but he headed over from six yards. On 38 minutes Barry Mason was replaced by Zac Mouland.

Kevin Brewster saw his curling free kick cleared off the line by Clifford Walters moments later and it was a chance rued missing as Buckland took the lead three minutes later in the 39th minute through Charlie Johnson.

A deep free kick towards the back of the box from Lloyd Gardner bounced to the feet of Charlie Johnson and the forward calmly controlled the ball before lashing it past Ryan Gosney into the top right corner.

HT 0-1.

The Boatmen started pressing for the equaliser immediately after the interval, with Jamie Bulpitt’s driven, left-footed shot from inside the box testing Grant Fisher.

Substitute Zac Mouland came close with a fizzing effort from the right as Sholing went searching for some attacking impetus to help level the scoring. Sholing’s frustration continued and Marvin McLean earned himself a booking for dissent to assistant referee Lewis Ward on 53 minutes.

Buckland continued looking to put the game to bed with Lloyd Gardner and Charlie Johnson firing wide, while the latter blazed over from a 25-yard free kick.

Ryan Gosney lofted a looping free kick high into the Buckland box and the ball fell kindly to Dan Mason and the striker deftly killed the ball dead before firing a half-volley on the turn, but it was cleared by Simon Laughton.

The hosts pushed forward and won numerous corners but Pete Castle’s downward header was the closest chance. Substitute Nick Yeomans found himself in space running through on goal but his shot was expertly thwarted by Liam Drew.

Charlie Johnson came close to doubling his tally for the day but birthday boy Owen Royl made a brilliant last-ditch tackle to stop the attack. The Boatmen countered and a big chance fell at the feet of Dan Mason as he found space in the box to get a shot off with the outside of his right foot, but Grant Fisher was alert to make a smart save to keep the Bucks in pole position.

And the away side all-but-ended the game in the 84th minute through Richard Groves. Some brilliant hold-up play from Lloyd Gardner on the right allowed him to skip past Owen Royl and dink a delightful through ball to Richard Groves to coolly dispatched into the bottom left from 16 yards.

Buckland made it three two minutes later as substitute Marc Revell, who had been on the pitch for literally ten seconds, popped up at the far post to finish low past Gosney.

With the game out of Sholing’s hands the frustration showed when captain Byron Mason was dismissed in stoppage time after picking up two quick cautions for dissent in the space of 30 seconds this was quickly followed by a yellow card to Jamie Bulpitt for a foul deep into stoppage time.

FT 0-3.

Report by Neil Vincent