Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

Sholing v Hamworthy United


Scorers: Dan Mason 21, Barry Mason 52, Lee Wort 88

Date: 3rd December 2016 – 3.00 pm – Sydenhams Wessex Premier Division

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Owen Roundell, Marvin McLean, Dan Miller, Cory Cherrett, Kevin Brewster(Kieran Winman 84), Barry Mason [C] (Nick Yeomans 69), Alex Sawyer, Dan Mason, Jamie Bulpitt, Lee Wort

Unused Subs: Jordan Brooks, Owen Royl, Marc Diaper

Yellows: None

Hamworthy United: Tommy Scott, Max Brimson, Ryan Dovell, Eddie Hodge, Declan Randall, Sam Clarke, Nick Swann, Dan O’Sullivan( Brandon Randall 75), Steve Smith, Connor Phillips(Edgar Zanin 84), Jordan Fisk(Ryan Kelly 75)

Unused Subs: Dan Pidgley

Yellows: None

Attendance: 73  Man of the Match: Marvin McLean

Referee: Anthony Cross   Assistants: John Bungay & Zach Robinson

Sholing made amends for last week’s draw at Fareham with a well-deserved win over Hamworthy United and their fourteenth clean sheet of the season.

Team News: Byron Mason missed out due to a suspension. Also Pete Castle and Jack Smith miss out due to long term injury problems. Dan Miller however passed a late fitness test. Jake Hoole was with development side this afternoon to get more game time so Marc Diaper moved into the squad, Zac Mouland was away

Sholing get us underway in the first half and it was a fast paced start to the half as both team had chances as the ball seemed to move from end to end. Marvin McLean played a ball down the line to Alex Sawyer but his low drive was intercepted and cleared. Hamworthy then went straight on the offensive as Steven Smith chested down inside the box but Owen Roundell cleared the danger.

The first clear-cut chance of the half fell to the hosts as Alex Sawyer found space down the right hand side, he made clear ground and delivered the ball into the back post where Dan Mason tried to bring it down but as he did so, Max Brimson used his strength and ushered him out of play.

Hamworthy’s first, first half chance came to Nick Swann as he marched forward past the centre circle, he threaded the ball down right into Jordan Fisk, he tried to cut inside but Marvin McLean dispossessed him and cleared the ball.

Sholing then grabbed a hold of the game when Lee Wort then found himself in the corner with his back to the pitch. He muscled and managed to beat two men to fire in a low shot on the edge of the box but it was unfortunately blocked by Hodge.

The next chance for the hosts came when Roundell cleared the ball up into Dan Mason who held well with his back to goal, he then spun his man and ran into the box but he couldn’t get his shot on target as it flew over the bar. Following this, Kevin Brewster then found space and played the ball into Lee Wort who ran at goal but his shot trickled wide. Sholing proceeded to win a corner, it fell to Kevin Brewster on the edge of the box who caught the ball sweetly but unfortunately for the Sholing man it looped just over the bar.

Sholing won another corner and the ball in finds a rising Dan Miller who’s beat his man and saw his header loop just off the top off the bar and out for a goal kick.

Hamworthy then had their first real shot on goal as Steven Smith heads the ball down to Connor Phillips who decided to strike the ball first time but his shot flew straight over the bar.

The first goal of the match went the way of the hosts in the 21st minute, as Barry Mason made ground own the left hand side, he got to the by-line and floated a ball to the back-post where brother, Dan Mason, fires a header into the top corner. 1-0!

At this point Sholing were huffing and puffing but couldn’t double their lead.

Hamworthy’s best chance came after an uncharacteristic mistake from Dan Miller he gave the ball to Jordan Fisk in an attempt to play it back to Gosney. Fisk then rounded the oncoming Gosney and teed up Hodge. Hodge kept hold of the ball too long which gave Gosney time to recover and save the shot with his legs.

Quite a scrappy first half with Sholing on top. But wasted chances meant it stayed tight on the scoreline.

HT 1-0 

Sholing started the second half brightly as their first real chance came in the 47th minute. A sweet one-two between Jamie Bulpitt and Dan Mason sent Bulpitt into the box. He looked composed as he drilled the ball across goal, but a combination between goalkeeper and a defender prevented the ball reaching the intended targets.

Sholing were rewarded for their bright start as a ball over the top found Lee Wort down the right. He took it down and fired a shot straight at the keeper. The re-bound fell back to Wort who fed Barry Mason who flicked the ball over Randall to slot under the goalkeeper in the 52nd minute. 2-0

Sholing proceeded to soak up most of the Hamworthy pressure but Hamworthy’s best chance of the half and game fell to Hodge as he dispossessed Roundell on the edge of the box. One on one with the keeper, he placed his shot just wide of the post. A huge let off for the Boatmen as Hamworthy should have pulled a goal back.

We entered a stage of the match where each team were nullifying the others attacks. Sholing at this stage were happy to sit on their two goal advantage.

Sholing almost grabbed their third and put the game to bed when the referee played advantage after Barry Mason was caught late. The ball fell to Bulpitt who weaved his way into the box and fired a shot on goal but the keeper made a great double save after the rebound fell back to Bulpitt. After this challenge Barry Mason was forced to leave the field of play after sustaining an injury and was replace by Nick Yeomans on 69 mins.

Sholing thought they had their third goal after a shot from Dan Mason was flying across. Lee Wort controlled and tapped it in. The linesman however raised his flag for offside.

Sholing should have had their third when Lee Wort was one on one with the goalkeeper. He almost had too much time to score but as he took the shot, Tommy Scott saved. Wort had another great chance as Bulpitt slotted him in. To be fair to the striker was slightly wide and his shot was saved by Scott once again.

Lee Wort finally grabbed his goal when Jamie Bulpitt showed great pace as he charged down the right hand side. He squared the ball to Wort who struck it first time with his left foot into the bottom corner on 88 mins. A dominant display from the Boatmen sealed all three points as Hamworthy rarely threatened Gosney in goal.

FT 3-0

Report by Sam Cox