Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

Sholing v Newport (IOW)

Sholing 3 Newport (IOW) 0

Dan Mason 25, 58 & 91

Date: Saturday 24th September 2016 ~~ Sydenhams Wessex Premier Division

Sholing: Ryan Gosney, Kevin Brewster, Owen Roundell, Dan Miller, Jack Attrill, Jake Hoole (Barry Mason 88), Jamie Bulpitt, Byron Mason [c] Marvin McLean (Yeomans 88), Zac Mouland Dan Mason

Unused Subs: Pete Castle, Kieran Winman & Aaron Whitmarsh

Yellow Card: Jamie Bulpitt

Newport: Gary Streeter, Liam Newbold (Olly West 71), Spike Pearce, Martin McDonough, Ryan Oatley [c], Will Quigley (Mark Taylor 80) Darren Powell, Liam Triggs, Josh Younie, Joe Butcher, Tom McInnes (Connor Kelly 37)

Unused Subs Liam Bennett

Yellow Cards: Josh Younie, Liam Triggs, Martin McDonough

Attendance: 70

Referee: Brian Channing Assistant Referees Ade Skeates & Andrew Walker

Man of the Match: Dan Mason

Team News: Jack Smith once again watched from the side lines, Alex Sawyer was away for his birthday. Pete Castle reverted to the bench and there was a call up to the squad for young goalkeeper Aaron Whitmarsh who was joint man of the match in the FA Youth Cup win over Ringwood 48 hrs earlier also joining him on the bench was other joint man of the match Kieran Winman who hit the winning goal on Thursday. Also Barry Mason returned from a short break after reaching 500 appearances last weekend and before the match was presented with a memento from Club Director Trevor Lewis.

Dan Mason’s first hat trick of the season ensured Sholing took a routine 3-0 home win over Newport Isle of Wight.

The result sees Sholing move to third in the Wessex Premier League following six wins from nine matches.

Dan Mason’s first wasn’t the most aesthetically pleasing as he bundled the ball home, while his second was owed to a slice of luck as goalkeeper Gary Streeter’s hand couldn’t stop the ball bouncing over the line and his third in the last minute was a confident penalty after the returning Barry Mason was fouled.

Dan set the tone for his afternoon after just five minutes, as he wonderfully collected the ball with his back to goal, he attempted a cheeky lob that bounced off the crossbar, before having a penalty appeal rejected after the ball struck the arm of a Newport player.

Newport had few opportunities throughout the match and missed a half chance when Joe Butcher’s cross was headed over by Darren Powell.

Dan Mason bagged his first of the game midway through the first half with a poacher’s finish, as Marvin McLean skinned Liam Newbold, who fouled McLean as he crossed for Dan Mason to bundle in from close range.

The visitors tried to rally and after Sholing could only half-clear another Joe Butcher’s cross, Will Quigley fired over from outside the box as keeper Ryan Gosney was barely tested. Newport then lost striker Tom McInnes to injury, and he was replaced by Connor Kelly eight minutes before the break.

Sholing then had another spell of pressure as Dan Mason’s hold up play allowed Jake Hoole to stab a shot goal wards, only for Gary Streeter to parry the ball away for a corner, while Kevin Brewster’s devilish kick was met by Dan Miller, who was denied again by Gary Streeter. Zac Mouland then volleyed over on the edge of the area.

HT 1-0

In the second half it was more of the same as another excellent delivery from Kevin Brewster was headed just wide by Captain Byron Mason, while Zac Mouland had a shot saved after good work from Jake Hoole.

Just before the hour Dan Mason got his second of the game, although this one had a slice of luck about it as Streeter got a hand to his effort only to see it loop over the line and establish a cushion. 2-0

That relaxed Sholing, who were visibly more confident and it wasn’t long before the lively Jake Hoole was troubling the away defence as he cut inside a fired a rising shot that was well held by Gary Streeter.

Kevin Brewster was next to try his luck with an angled free-kick from 25 yards that cannoned back off the post with 15 minutes left, while Marvin McLean’s driving run and shot was well saved once again by Gary Streeter.

Gary Streeter was occupied again five minutes later when on 82 minutes Dan and Byron Mason combined well and the latter had daisy cutter of an effort held, while Barry Mason and Nick Yeomans replaced Zac Mouland and Jake Hoole shortly after.

Barry Mason was to be involved in the final meaningful act of the game, as his strong run was illegally stopped by Martin McDonough inside the box for Dan Mason to thump the penalty home and wrap the game up in style.

Next up for the Boatmen is an interesting seven days as they host AFC Portchester on Tuesday evening who they beat a fortnight ago in the Wessex League Cup and then they travel to long time leaders Blackfield & Langley who have now been replaced by Moneyfields who beat them to take top spot.

FT 3-0

Match report by Jack Prentice