Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Sholing v Portland United – 16/04/19

Sholing 3 Portland United 0

A goal, and an inspired defensive performance, from supporter’s player of the season Dan Miller helped Sholing to a second 3-0 win in three days; as the Boatmen dispatched of Portland United in their final home game of the season.

It seemed like it was written in the stars for Miller as, moments after being given his award, he got his head onto Jake Hoole’s corner and put the ball back across the keeper into the far corner. One up inside two minutes and a day to remember for the number 5.

This started a period of dominance for the hosts and they should have doubled their lead in the 18th minute. Moments after Portland had their first half-chance of the game when Ryan Gosney comfortably held a strike from distance, from the Blues Ryan McKechnie, the ball was up the other end. Some brilliant on one touch play from the home side found its way to Jake Hoole on the edge of the box; who cut in on his left and sent a shot just wide of the right post.

That second did come four minutes later however, a great run by Owen Royl lead to the ball being fed into Bradley Targett, and the number 11 made no mistake in running to the by-line before dispatching the ball into the far corner.

Comfort for Sholing and frustration for Portland as another long strike from McKechnie again found its way into the gloves of Ryan Gosney. Things nearly got worse for the away side just before half time when TJ Cuthbertson played Lee Wort through. After bagging his 50th of the season at the weekend the money would have been on the striker to add his 51st; however, his first-time strike was just saved by visiting keeper Mike Edgar. The drama didn’t end there, as Wort collect the ball from the save and put it back in for Dan Mason sliding in, but Edgar did well to keep it out again. HT 2-0.

When the teams came out for the second half there was much of the same from the Champions, with Targett having two glorious chances to add a third within the first five minutes. First, on the 48th minute, the winger was played in by skipper Byron Mason and having poked an effort past the onrushing keeper the ball struck the bottom of the upright.

Then two minutes later the number 11 must have wondered if he was cursed, when he was sent clean through again this time from a Lee Wort flick. Targett steadied himself and hit an outside of the foot shot which this time struck the other post. Unbelievable.

That didn’t matter though as five minutes later Sholing put the game to bed. A Lee Wort through ball found Dan Mason. The striker was fouled as he entered the box but kept his composure, and on his feet, and slide the ball under the onrushing keeper for the third.

Portland looked dejected and although they fashioned another half chance on 58 minutes when Alex Halloran struck Max Bucker’s mistimed shot wide, they never looked like troubling the home side. Sholing’s dominance was encapsulated three minutes later, when Jamie Bulpitt tried to lob the keeper from 25- yards but; the back-peddling Edgar just got a hand to push it over.

There was still time for one more good chance for the Boatmen. TJ Cuthbertson set Lee Wort free down the right who played the ball low into Dan Mason at the near post. Under pressure from defenders the striker could only side foot wide.

This served as a fitting last home game of a memorable season for Sholing, who now are just one point off an incredible 100 with two games to play. FT 3-0. (Jamie Perry)