Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Sholing v QK Southampton 09/10/18

Sholing 8 QK Southampton 0

HISTORY shows this to be the fifth meeting between these teams in this competition, each side in their various past guises, having won twice. The two teams fortune this season couldn’t be much different as Sholing, top of the Wessex and one hundred per cent, met QK who are situated one off the bottom of the Hants Premier League.

Even though they had an FA Vase match coming up next, Sholing put out a strong line-up for the game.

Sholing set about their task early on with QK’s Shergold blocking a Brewster shot on the line, QK keeper Parker saving a Connor shot and D Mason firing wide and just after, missing his kick. It was looking to be a tough night for the visiting team and the first goal materialised:

18 mins: Roundell put Sholing in front applying a final near post touch following a good ball in by Byron Mason (1-0).

Bagley got in two blocks to deny shots by both Targett and D Mason as did Gain, again from a Mason effort. Bagley did well to clear again following a five-man passing move that resulted in a Targett header.

27 mins: Targett was upended inside the penalty box by Shergold and Sholing were awarded a penalty which D Mason [pen] took, Parker doing well to get his hand to it but it was a powerful kick and continued into the net (2-0).

Sholing’s Brewster’s 25-yard free-kick struck the QK bar and D Mason headed the rebound wide.

36 mins: A further Sholing goal came when Cuthbertson crossed in and D Mason fired home (3-0).

Half-time: 3-0 to Sholing. The Boatman who’d already replaced Castle late in the half, made an interval sub as D Mason was replaced by Wort.

Parker made an excellent save from Wort after a free-kick into the box had been played on by Roundell.

53 mins: A good Sholing move saw Mackey find Targett whose intelligent play saw him pass across to Wort who was left with a straight forward finish (4-0).
59 mins: Wort netted again when a QK back pass sold the keeper short, he charged the ball down and was left an open goal (5-0).

Sholing’s pressure was unwavering as Targett shot off the post and he then supplied a cross to Wort who headed wide.

73 mins: Targett was sent clear down the right and shot across the keeper and in off the far post to net a deserved goal (6-0).

A rare QK attack saw Akintolu head over from close in after a good passing move and a Bellows cross in.

87 mins: Wort collected the ball and fired through the keeper (7-0).
88 mins: Wort again, his fourth of the night, after QK had lost possession, he latched on to a Cuthbertson pass and fired in (8-0).

Difficult though it proved, the QK boys never gave in and did try to play a passing game when briefly in possession but, as the score suggests, there was a clear overall winner. [Gary Day]