Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Slough Town v Sholing 22/09/18

Slough Town 2 Sholing 2

Sholing pulled off a remarkable comeback from 2-0 down to secure a home replay against Slough Town, a team that are 58 places above the Boatmen in the football pyramid. Dan Mason also continued his fine form with a brace to finish the game with 16 goals in 12 games this season.

At Slough’s very impressive ground and facilities, the Boatmen struggled in the first 30 minutes in which they seemed to adjust to the 3G pitch and challenging weather conditions. Slough dominated the opening exchanges and nearly took the lead in the 4th minute when a deep James Dobson cross was cleared off the line to keep the scores equal.

Two minutes later a great tackle by Dan Miller prevented Ben Harris when he was put through on goal by a fine through ball by Lee Togwell. Slough’s early dominance had a reward when a ball into the box resulted in a game of pinball in the penalty area. After hitting players of both teams, the ball fell kindly to Ben HARRIS who slotted into the bottom corner to give the home side the lead.

After a brief spell of Slough possession, they were given a penalty in the 27th minute when Ryan Harris was tripped in the box after running through the Sholing defence. James DOBSON stepped up and slotted it into the far corner past Ryan Gosney, who had dived the right way but the placement was too good. It looked like Slough Town would go on to win quite comfortably but the 30th minute mark seemed to kick Sholing into life and they never really looked back.

The 31st minute saw the first chance for the away side when Lee Wort fired wide from about 20 yards out. Five minutes later Dan Mason had a shot blocked at source and bobbled out of play for a corner, which was deflected out for the 2nd corner in a row. The corner by Alex Sawyer was played into the near post and found DAN MASON, who fired in an improvised finish over the goalkeeper and looped into the bottom corner to reduce the arrears to 2-1. On the stroke of half time Lee Wort fired a shot into the corner but the home goalkeeper Jack Turner saved well to keep his side ahead. The first half finished with Sholing still in the game, which did not look likely when they were 2-0 down earlier in the half.

HT 2-1

Sholing improved in the early stages of the second half and nearly levelled in the 48th minute when Lee Wort was put through one on one against the goalkeeper, but sadly hit the post with the ball being cleared on the rebound by the home defence. In the 53rd minute another chance fell to Lee Wort when he had a shot from a slight angle was saved well by the goalkeeper, who then got up well to grab the rebound before Dan Mason got to the ball.

After these excellent 10 minutes of Sholing dominance, the game then hit a slight stalemate as both teams fought to get the 4th goal that would surely be a key moment in the match. In the 59th minute Bradley Targett came on for Alex Sawyer as the away side sought a leveller. It was certainly Sholing who looked likely to get the next goal and forced two chances in a number of minutes.

In the 73rd minute Lee Wort found space at the corner of the box after a fine Sholing break, but his powerfully angled shot was saved well by Turner at his near post. Two minutes later a similar chance was created by Jamie Bulpitt, whose shot was saved after a fumble by the home goalkeeper.

Sholing’s dominance and persistence resulted in an equaliser in the 81st minute to send the small away crowd into raptures. A Sholing throw in was flicked on by an attacker and found DAN MASON, who beat a defender and the ball was accurately tucked away underneath Jack Turner. Once Sholing had equalised the home side dominated the final 10 minutes, as the away team seemed to settle for a well-deserved replay at the Universal Stadium. However, aside from a shot by substitute Warren Harris hitting the post, Slough did not create any other clear cut chances despite their possession and the game petered out to its conclusion.

FT 2-2

Overall this was a great away game and a wonderful result for the Boatmen, who continued their fine run of form this season and surprised the home side with their do-or-die attitude. The away fans were definitely outnumbered at the stadium but created a lot of noise and paid a part in the result.

They definitely became a little damp in the fine British weather, but ultimately overjoyed with the result and look forward to the replay at the Universal Stadium. We would also like to thank Slough Town for making our first trip to Arbour Park a wonderful experience with the fine facilities and making us all feel as welcome as possible. (Connor Steel)