Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Team Solent v AFC Portchester 21/01/19

Team Solent 2 AFC Portchester 2

TWENTY-EIGHT seconds in and the first action produced an opening goal this evening at Test Park. A run up the right flank by Luke Bennett saw his cross hurriedly cleared by Charlie Searle- but only as far as Ryan PENNY who fired home from around eight yards. This signalled a topsy-turvy game that eventually ended all square, which was probably just about the right result as the hosts had the best of the first half and the visitors the second.

Luke Mitchell was pressing the visiting defence and with Hisham Kasimu winning a challenge for the loose ball with Harrison Birmingham was perhaps unfortunate to see his shot crash to safety off the crossbar with just eight minutes gone. Solent did double their lead though just after the quarter hour mark. KASIMU made the most of a mix up between Searle and central defender Josh Warren, and calmly slotted the ball home from five yards following Penny’s delivery. With almost half an hour gone, Portchester’s first real attempt came when Birmingham’s cross was fumbled by Solent keeper Alex Londors but nobody reacted quickly enough and the danger passed.

At the other end a low shot from Kasimu brought a good stop by Searle, and the striker was again thwarted on 33 minutes when a threaded pass from Penny ultimately brought about a corner that Silvano Obeng perhaps should’ve done better from and it remained 2-0. Portchester thought they had got back into it when Mike TURVEY had the ball in the back of the net only for the effort to be ruled out for offside, and in the final action of the half an effort from Penny was well parried by Searle. HT 2-0

The visitors were out several minutes ahead of the hosts- by chance or design, and started well with Turvey unable to make the most of another slip by Londors, that produced a flurry of corners for Portchester- but all to no avail. Just after the hour mark though, Portchester did get a goal. A free kick was conceded just inside the visitors’ half close to the dugouts. WARREN stepped up and lofted the ball goalwards. Londors seemingly missed the flight and it passed through his hands and into the net to make it 2-1.

Portchester sensed that the game was perhaps turning in their favour with attempts from George Tuson Firth and sub Brandon Miller causing some worry amongst the home fans. The second goal for the visitors came on 70 minutes and was also somewhat fortuitous. A Solent throw in by the stand nearest the entrance was played back and with no openings, back and back again to the keeper; TURVEY closed in and snaffled the ball away to leave himself with a relatively simple tap in for the equaliser.

With time running down Searle hesitated with Kasimu closing in and the curling shot hit the side netting and Obeng had a couple of good chances to grab a late Solent winner- a free kick centrally from around 22 yards was off target and he arrived fractionally too late for a Kasimu cross with the goal gaping. In the dying seconds Turvey had a chance at the other end to get a late winner, but overall neither side really deserved to lose and it ended honours even. FT 2-2 (Mike Robins)