Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Team Solent v Hamble Club Res 08/10/18

Team Solent 1 Hamble Club Res 2

THERE was a surprise result at Test Park as Wessex Premier side Team Solent were defeated by the Wyvern Combination Premier Division leaders Hamble Club Reserves in the Southampton DFA Senior Cup.

When Solent striker Hammond was sent flying by a visiting defender, skipper Penny hit the side netting with the free-kick. It was Hamble who took a fifth minute lead when a loose Solent pass gave away possession and a low cross by Wilson was netted from close range by RAMOS. Solent tried to hit back as a further Penny effort seemed to squirm from the grasp of Monks keeper McCarthy but he recovered it. Mitchell’s low shot brought a further save from McCarthy who was later beaten by a 35-yard Penny effort, but the ball bounced onto the top of the bar and over. McCarthy then denied a 20-yard Ethan Taylor shot, the Solent man having two further opportunities, but McCarthy dived to thwart him again and next his low drive missed the post. McCarthy was in action again as Taylor had a further effort on goal, this time he pushed the ball behind for a corner. It was from that flag-kick, taken by Taylor, that Solent levelled when BYRNE arrived in the six-yard box to fire home.

Despite Solent’s pressure, Ramos reminded them that he was a dangerous customer, his shot coming off the base of the post. Solent pressed further as a Hammond effort was headed off the line by Gange. Close to half-time, a long pass forward by Byrne sent Taylor down the right and his intelligent ball across to Hammond saw McCarthy in action once again, deflecting the effort clear with his foot. HT: 1-1.

The second half didn’t really happen for Team Solent. They had a decent share of ball possession, but they lacked that cutting edge in the box. Hamble nudged back in front when a heavy challenge on Baldwin was let go and RAMOS fired low beyond Londors. Both Ramos and Solent’s Eaton were high off the mark for their teams. It was getting late with Hamble holding on to their narrow lead, but their cause wasn’t helped when Ghosh was shown a second yellow card following a heavy challenge in midfield on 87 minutes. Hammond glanced a Wallace cross just past the post whilst Mitchell battled his way through, but his low shot was too near to the keeper, which was rather typical of the home side’s on target attempts in this half. McCarthy held a Taylor free-kick high which proved to be the final chance of the night. FT: 1-2.

To add to a disappointing Solent evening, Wallace was shown a red card for a comment made to an official after the final whistle. Hopefully, he will think about the consequences when he sits on the side-lines soon.

Overall, Solent failed to build on a promising first half as their efforts often lacked accuracy and, when on target, lacked venom. Cup-wise only the Hampshire Senior remains for Solent now. So, many congratulations to Hamble Club Reserves who worked hard as a team and did their bit to frustrate their opponents and therefore fragment the flow of the game and hold on to their 2-1 advantage. Good luck to Hamble Club Reserves for the rest of the competition.
[Gary Day]