Match Report -

Match Report - , by Ian Craig

Team Solent v Sholing


Scorers: Jamel Wiseman (67) Jamie Bulpitt (69)

Date: Saturday October 15, 2016 TEST PARK – Sydenhams Wessex League Premier Division

Team Solent: Bradley Banda, Adeoye Olumuyiwa, George Butler, Pip Nolan, Ellis White (James Orvis 28), Tyrell Mitford, Ryan Dacres-Smith, Jamel Wiseman, Silvano Obeng, Jesse Waller-Lassen (C), Tori Adekunle (Matthew Sheedy 86). Unused subs: Lewis Pitts, Mike Lamb, and Lee Webber.

Yellow Card: Ellis White (25), Jamel Wiseman (78), Jesse Waller-Lassen (78)

Sholing: Jordan Brooks, Kevin Brewster, Marv McLean, Pete Castle, Dan Miller, Jamie Bulpitt, Barry Mason, Alex Sawyer, Dan Mason (Nick Yeomans 86), Byron Mason (C), Jake Hoole (Zac Mouland 63). Unused subs: Kieran Winman, Owen Roundell, and Josh Milsom.

Yellow Card: Jamie Bulpitt (31), Marv McLean (33), Kevin Brewster (88)


Man of the Match: Pete Castle

Referee: Robert Ablitt Assistants: Stuart Carter & Kevin Robinson

Team News: Once again Dave Diaper was unable to field a settled side as Ryan Gosney missed his first match away at a wedding. Jordan Brooks came in for his first game of the season. Marvin McLean passed a late fitness test, Kevin Brewster & Barry Mason returned to the line-up after missing the midweek cup win.    

Sholing picked up a hard-earned point against in-form Team Solent after a 1-1 draw at Test Park on Saturday. Dan Mason missed the chance to score his 16th goal of the season after seeing his penalty expertly saved by Solent keeper Bradley Banda in the 24th minute. The Students broke the deadlock in the 67th minute via Wiseman’s back post half-volley but Sholing immediately levelled proceedings through a rare Jamie Bulpitt goal after the midfielder deftly flicked in from Marv McLean’s cross. The Boatmen defence was breached for the first time in 472 minutes as they stretched their unbeaten run to 11 games, while the hosts run of eight straight wins came to an end.

The visitors started the game brighter than the hosts as Jake Hoole headed over from close range following Dan Mason’s byline cross on 4 minutes.

Ryan Dacres-Smith tried testing young Jordan Brooks in the away goal but blazed over, while Kevin Brewster’s free kick at the other end found an unmarked Byron Mason, but the Sholing skipper headed wide. Kevin Brewster continued to cause the Solent defence problems with his pinpoint freekicks but the Sholing forwards failed to capitilise on his accuracy.

Tobi Adekunle picked up a loose ball inside the Sholing half as the Students broke forward but his curling shot was blocked well by Pete Castle and easily collected by Brooks.

Both sides traded headed efforts at each end, Barry Mason failing to capitalise on Brewster’s delicious in-swinging corner while Ellis White threatened Brooks to no avail from Jesse Waller-Lassen’s free kick.

Tobi Adekunle continued to endanger the Boatmen’s proud clean sheet record as Team Solent looked for the opening goal but he and Waller-Lassen shot over with edge-of-the-box attempts.

The real controversy of the game came in the 24th minute, where referee Robert Ablitt was at the centre of attention. Dan Mason flicked the ball over to the on-running Barry Mason who, as he riffled his shot wide, was brought down by Ellis White, who received a caution in the process.

Referee Ablitt hesitated before pointing to the spot and Team Solent were angered by not only the late decision, but the referee’s failure to blow up for a handball by Dan Mason in the buildup.

The 15-goal striker stepped up confidently and thumped his spot kick low towards the bottom left of the goal, but Solent keeper Bradley Banda got down quickly to skillfully deny Dan Mason, who missed from the subsequent rebound. Four minutes later James Taylor replaced an aggrieved Ellis White and replaced him with Jim Orvis to prevent him seeing Red. The tempo of the game hotted up with both Marvin McLean & Jamie Bulpitt both receiving cautions within the space of two minutes.

Jake Hoole dribbled 40-yards and tested Bonda again, it was the Solent defence under pressure again but the ball got caught up in Dan Mason’s foot and the striker couldn’t get his shot away as an energetic first-half that the visitors perhaps shaded ended goalless.

HT 0-0.

The second half began with the hosts dominating the ball and pressing forward to break the deadlock. The tenacious Jesse Waller-Lassen was causing problems and forced a number of fouls but without creating a real opening.

Dan Mason’s back heel found Jamie Bulpitt inside the Solent box and the ‘Pitbull’ forced a corner for the visitors, only for Pete Castle to head over from Kevin Brewster’s out-swinging cross. Jake Hoole was replaced by Zac Mouland on 63 minutes.

Team Solent nearly took the lead in the 65th minute and should have but for a moment of magical defending from the Sholing skipper Byron Mason. Tyrell Mitford’s deep free kick looked to have been claimed by Brooks, but the young shot stopper dropped the ball on the six-yard line and Solent striker Silvano Obeng picked it up, rounded the young keeper and shot on goal, but the Boatmen’s captain fantastic was on hand to make a last-ditch, goal line clearance.

However, the Sparks did take the lead two minutes later through Jamel Wiseman, who was unmarked at the back post and latched onto a deep cross and took advantage of some bundling Sholing defending to fire high into the roof of the net via the crossbar.

The lead didn’t last long though as the away side immediately replied via Jamie Bulpitt. The Sholing water-carrier grabbed his first goal of the season, niftily flicking in after Marvin McLean’s deep cross from the left wing evaded everyone and found its way into the far corner past the stunned Bradley Banda via the ‘Pitbull’.

Emotions were running high and Team Solent were appealing for every free kick leading to referee Ablitt cautioning both Wiseman & Waller-Lassen for dissent on 78 minutes. Nick Yeomans replaced Dan Mason on 85 minutes. Kevin Brewster then became the sixth player to receive a caution for a trip on Sheedy on 88 minutes.

The Students drove forward in search of a late winner as Tyrell Mitford and Jesse Waller-Lassen both forced smart saves from Jordan Brooks, and the latter even rattled the post in the final minute after finding space in the box.

Ultimately, Sholing picked up a hard-fought point against a very strong side showing that both sides were in rich vein of form coming into this match and very happy not to suffer a defeat.

FT 1-1

Report by Neil Vincent