Match Report -

Match Report - , by Roger Allen

Verwood Town v Petersfield Town 10/11/18

Verwood Town 5 Petersfield Town 2

REMARKABLY the pitch at Potterne held up well after a night of atrocious weather in this part of the world, not helped by short sharp torrential downpours throughout the morning and during the game, both teams put in a good display in the difficult conditions.

Early exchanges probably favoured the Rams, cheered on throughout by their Scottish fan- and they had the first real chance on 13 minutes when skipper Will Essai received a good pass from a quick break only to see his shot go wide of the upright. Almost immediately however, Verwood did open the scoring. Ollie DAVIES stroking the ball home from close range after a pinpoint cross from the left side. Some indecision in the visiting defence nearly allowed the Potters to double their lead at the midpoint of the half, with George Richardson nearly getting that second. Petersfield’s Matt Rowland was upended clumsily just shy of the half hour mark and a spell of pressure from the Rams around this period couldn’t make that breakthrough.

A grass cutter from distance by Dean Evans failed to trouble youngster Jacob Orr in the Rams goal. Although the Potters liked to play the ball across the back four in their build ups, tis eventually caught them out just before the interval when a corner was headed home by Jordan NEAL. That wasn’t the end of the scoring in the first half though as in the last seconds, Orr parried a shot only to see James GUTHRIE pick up the scraps to net from close range. HT 2-1

The equaliser duly arrived just after the hour mark when NEAL collected his double, having earlier had a powerful shot turned away by Ed Tierney. Parity didn’t last for long however- with DAVIES restoring the lead for Verwood. Two goals in the final five minutes settling the game for the hosts probably the right result but the score line a bit harsh on the visitors. GUTHRIE grabbed his second from around the edge of the penalty area, slotting wide of Orr after shrugging off a challenge and in added on time DAVIES rounded off his hat trick with a fifth for the hosts. FT 5-2 (Mike Robins)